Thread: SMC approval - currently in skilled employment in NZ but contract ends soon

Question SMC approval - currently in skilled employment in NZ but contract ends soon

I'm currently on a temporary work visa expiring 31 May 2015 . My work contract also expires at the end of May.

I claimed points for having current skilled employment in NZ on my EOI and in my ITA but this will not be the case come 31 May 2015, unless I ask my employer to extend my contract (which I have) or start applying for other jobs (which I am currently doing).

My main question is: Is my SMC still likely to be approved despite my current skilled employment coming to an end soon? If I am offered another job in the meantime, should I update my application with the current offer to possibly expedite things? I sent a personal letter along with the evidence of my current skilled employment explaining that I'm currently on my second contract with the same company and have been employed with them since May 2014 and they would likely extend my contract as long as I have a valid work visa.

I don't have a CO yet as I just submitted my ITA last week, but the status does say pending in the system. My employer previously sponsored me for a temporary visa under Essential Skills as they'd been unsuccessful after recruiting for my position.

Thanks!

As you're applying for Residence with your current skilled job as part of the application, it's going to need still to be in place and shown to be continuing for INZ to put it through, or you'd need an equivalent equally skilled job also meeting your qualifications.

As you say your employer would extend your contract as long as you have a valid visa, it may help to look at WK 2.5.1 here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/45676.htm This means that, if your current visa looks likely to end before the Residence is processed, you will be able to get a further Essential Skills visa WITHOUT the need for another labour market test. With that prospect, your boss may be happy to firm up the offer of ongoing work, which, in turn, will fulfil the requirement for INZ to see that you have a secure position.

Thank you for your reply JandM and that helpful link!

Another quick question. I picked up my original documents today from the Wellington branch as I received a voicemail message yesterday that they were ready for retrieval. This included my passport. Any idea why this would be returned to me so quickly as I assumed they would need my passport to eventually enter my visa in it once approved? They also returned my work contract, police check and university transcripts. They did not return my birth certificate however...

I am currently living and working in Wellington.

It's normal for INZ to return applicants' documents as soon as they have been inspected and accepted as genuine. 1) Those are valuable to the applicant and they might have need of them for other things in their life, 2) INZ don't want to be responsible for them for any longer than necessary, with any blame in case of things going astray, and 3) bundles of 'stuff' relating to all cases currently being processed take up loads of room, so they get rid of them as soon as possible! 1) particularly applies to your passport, as you're entitled to take trips out of NZ and return. Regarding your birth certificate, in your place I would contact INZ and ask them whether they have deliberately kept it because they still need it for something else, or otherwise would they please find it as soon as possible and return it to you.

Thank you again! I will contact them first thing next week.