Thread: Partner working under a Skilled Migrant or Talent (Accredited Employer) visas

Default Partner working under a Skilled Migrant or Talent (Accredited Employer) visas

Hi,

If have a few general questions about two types of visa and I hope you may be able to help. I'm an Operating Department Practitioner (that would be an Anaesthetic Technician in NZ) and am looking at two visas:

1. Skilled Migrant Class
    2. Talent (Accredited Employers)

I know I can include my wife on the Skilled Migrant visa but would she be able to work under this visa? If not can she apply seperately for a work visa at the same time that I apply for the Skilled Migrant Visa under the assumption that the Skilled Migrant would be accepted?

I don't think I can include my wife in the Talent (Accredited Employers) application but again, can she apply seperately for a work visa at the same time that I apply for the Talent Visa under the assumption that the Talent visa would be accepted? We'd both be looking to eventually apply for permanent residency.

I score 160 points in the EOI online calculator. My wife is a Teacher but has a degree in Business and NVQ 3 in Maintaining Telecommunications Equipment but she may be looking to change career when she's there.

Many thanks

Mike
    Last edited by MLVB; 18th March 2015 at 11:05 PM.

If you apply under the Skilled Migrant Category, your wife will be the secondary applicant and will get Residence at the same time as you do, and yes, she can work or whatever on that visa.

If you apply for a Talent visa, your wife can at the same time apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, see here for the details. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm You can send the two applications in at the same time, linked with a covering letter, and it will be worked as one case, with the official supplying anything not known to you up front e.g. your visa number as it becomes available. This will get her an open work visa, which will entitle her to work at any job she's offered, by any employer.

Many people being sponsored in by an employer go for a work visa first because it can be processed more quickly than Residence, and at the same time or shortly afterwards also go for Residence, to get it while they are definitely qualified, and also because much of the same evidence will do for the two applications.

That's very helpful - many thanks.

Do the time constraints on visas begin immediately when issued e.g. I receive a 30 month visa - do the 30 months begin immediately or when I enter NZ? Is there a time limit between receiving the visa and entering NZ - can it be as long as 6 months for example? Just thinking about selling the house etc.

The life of the work visa starts when you enter NZ, and/but the visa has to be used within three months of the date on it, that is, when it is issued and put in your passport. It's not possible to extend this at all.

When granted Residence, however, you can delay paying the Migrant Levy and sending in your passport to have the visa put in for six months, and then you have a further 12 months before the visa MUST be activated by arrival in NZ.

Notice, there is NO leeway for ANY reason allowed on these dates of arrival in NZ. Therefore, when booking flights, it's advisable to choose a date about a week before the deadline, because travel delays could mean arriving after the cut-off on the visa, and it would then have lapsed and could no longer allow you entry to the country.

Fantastic - thank you JandM!

I've just sent off my application for registration with (what will be) my professional body in NZ - The Medical Sciences Council. This has involved police checks (I'll need them again for my visa application), certifying qualifications, references, completing a healthcare module on the Treaty of Waitangi and $529 payment but I feel like things are slowly starting to move.

Registration will then let me apply for jobs and then with an offer from an accredited employer, apply for the visa. Then an Annual Practicing Certificate to pay for and I'm away. Simple!? ��

Just one question - on the family stream visa, would my wife be free to take up ANY employment once there or would she need to specify a field and get a job offer? In the UK she's a teacher but her GTP qualification isn't recognised in NZ as its an 'on the job qualification' with no negotiation. So she's been looking to change career - she has a degree in business and an NVQ3 in maintains and repairing telecommunications equipment (don't ask!). Best case scenario is she'd come across with me with a job offer in hand but I don't know how realistic this is.

Mike
    Last edited by MLVB; 20th March 2015 at 10:34 PM.