Thread: Buying flights to NZ before NZ residency Partnership category is confirmed

Default Buying flights to NZ before NZ residency Partnership category is confirmed

Hi all,

I'm an expat NZ citizen living in UK and about to return to NZ after 20 years away (!), with my husband and kids. I have a job starting in NZ at end of May so things are moving very quickly for us. My husband has applied for his Residency Partnership category visa and has been assigned a case officer about a week ago and has sent some requested extra info this week. They tell us processing time is about 8-10 weeks at the moment. We have decided to go ahead and book flights before his visa is confirmed for all of us at the end of April as we'd like a month of settling in before my job starts. He spoke to NZ immigration in London and they gave a very undecisive answer about him entering NZ on his UK passport - basically they said he can do it as long as he has a ticket out of the country. So we are thinking we will wait till 2 weeks before we leave and if his residency visa doesnt look like it will arrive on time we will book him a flight from NZ to Australia or somewhere cheap so it looks like he'll be leaving the country. NZ immigration have said they can arrange to send his UK passport back to him in time for his flight and then when the residency visa is confirmed it can be done in NZ. It all sounds fine in principal but I'm concerned that we're just going on the word of one immigration officer in London who didn't sound very convincing! Would really appreciate any advice as our move is so soon! Don't think there should be any problems with his visa- we've been married 10 years and he has passed all the medical/police checks etc.
    Thank you!

That all sounds as if it makes perfect sense, actually. It's normal to feel twitchy about INZ stuff, with so much riding on it, but yours seems to be a case of a well-known and straightforward kind. They LIKE their kiwis to come home.

Thank you JandM - much appreciated!