Thread: Importing a sword

Default Importing a sword

I see, from various threads, that bringing in something like an Arabian sword shouldn't be a huge problem. However, I'm wondering about the scabbard.

The scabbard is some sort of wood, covered with etched metal leaf. Last time I tried to draw the sword, the leaf started separating, so I've not actually see the blade.

1. I assume something like this is going to need to be gassed/zapped? I don't know it's age; probably 40-odd years, of which the last 30 it's been in the UK, but from a bio-security POV the scabbard is unidentified wood and may well not have been sealed with paint/oil/etc.

2. Is there any way to encourage them not to draw the sword? Will a note kindly asking them not to try make any difference?

3. The handle may well be part ivory, although I've seen similar swords described as faux-ivory. Might this be a problem?

Sorry, I can't offer much in the way of help, but can you post a pic of your sword? Sounds awesome.

Sorry - sod's law, it's in the shop getting fixed (hopefully the jewelers can figure out how to reattach one of the anchor points). It looks similar to this or this (sadly without all the precious stones!).

1. Yes.

2. I'm afraid a note is unlikely to make any difference. Dear Mr Customs Officer, please don't look in here would probably have the opposite of the desired effect, when you come to think about it - they're going to wonder if you've hidden something in there. You could try contacting NZ customs in advance and asking what they would suggest.

3. See here. http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-us/inte...cites-species/ Yes, import of ivory is strictly controlled. You may need to get an expert opinion on whether or not the part that looks like ivory IS ivory or not, and if it is, whether or not it dates from before the CITES convention. If it's ivory and pre-convention, you'll need to apply for an import permit, as mentioned there.

Can't seem to give you any more rep JandM. I hadn't thought about the natural (and sensible) suspicion of customs officers; I'll get in touch with them to see what they suggest. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromley86 View Post
    Sorry - sod's law, it's in the shop getting fixed (hopefully the jewelers can figure out how to reattach one of the anchor points). It looks similar to this or this (sadly without all the precious stones!).
    No worries. Sounds like a beaut judging from those pictures. Good luck!