Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transformers

Default Transformers

Any advice on a good brand for a step up/down transformer? We're moving from the U.S.
    I've heard that some have a humming sound.

I had the same question last month and my NZ citizen brother said Dick Smith store in NZ sells models that are smaller and quieter, some don't even make sounds.. I was told that it's quite common for many expats to use these transformer there and they are easily available for purchase. I know I'll be need 2 types, one for small kitchen appliances and one for my Entertainment/gaming systems.

Are you using moving company? if so, which one? We have to start getting quotes soon for our expected move. Thanks!

I bought one of these before coming:
    http://www.220-electronics.com/3500-...regulator.html

It has been running our kitchen aid mixer, vitamix, power tools and doesn't buzz or anything. I am very pleased with it! The first one showed up and was dented with something loose inside from shipping so called them up and they immediately replaced it.

You will get something much cheaper from Amazon.com than you will find here: then you just need an adapter for the wall outlet. I paid about US$20 for a small one that I use with my Roku. When I need more than one outlet I plug an old US power bar into the transformer. Works like a charm.

We are using Ranier, we got another quote from United Van Lines. They were pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Heynekamp View Post
    I bought one of these before coming:
    http://www.220-electronics.com/3500-...regulator.html

It has been running our kitchen aid mixer, vitamix, power tools and doesn't buzz or anything. I am very pleased with it! The first one showed up and was dented with something loose inside from shipping so called them up and they immediately replaced it.
    Do you just have the one?

Generally speaking, go double the VA rating on the transformer than your total wattage use for your kitchen appliance. Ie. 300 watts on a mixer, choose 600 VA or even better, 1KVA. These will be large transformers and IMO, I find them way too intrusive to be used in the kitchen. The mechanical noise comes in many factors; overloading, poor wound transformer, loose connections, etc.

For smaller devices, (less than 50 watts), you can get switch mode type which are light weight, small and absolutely silent.

Dick Smith would not be my choice to look for transformers.

Speaking of transformers, I've got a collection I will be clearing out...a couple of 5000W, a 2000W, a 300W and a 200W...maybe a couple of others. They are expensive in New Zealand! If you have a container anyway, take a few with you. Note: Keep in mind how many rooms your US appliance will be spread across, then add a couple of extra transformers just to be safe.

My 5000 watters look like this: http://www.estoreoffer.com/ar5000-50...own-p-534.html
    Last edited by 72andsunny; 26th March 2015 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    Speaking of transformers, I've got a collection I will be clearing out...a couple of 5000W, a 2000W, a 300W and a 200W...maybe a couple of others. They are expensive in New Zealand! If you have a container anyway, take a few with you. Note: Keep in mind how many rooms your US appliance will be spread across, then add a couple of extra transformers just to be safe.

My 5000 watters look like this: http://www.estoreoffer.com/ar5000-50...own-p-534.html
    You're in the Hawkes Bay, right? We're heading that way - we arrive in July. We'd be interested in taking some of those off your hands!

Quote Originally Posted by TracyAnne View Post
    You're in the Hawkes Bay, right? We're heading that way - we arrive in July. We'd be interested in taking some of those off your hands!
    Sorry, I'll be gone by then! If anyone else needs transformers, send me a PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast