Thread: Chicken-Egg debate regarding housing

Default Chicken-Egg debate regarding housing

Hi all,

So this is the current situation.
    I have a job offer from NZ and they’re expecting me in a couple of months. This is an emigration process so my entire family (wife and 2 kids) will be joining me.
    What are my best options in terms of accommodation? Take in consideration that there is a 1 month trial period. I don’t expect any weird things will happen within that month but you never know right.

1. So far I’ve written down these options. Keep in mind that I’m just thinking out loud so some options will be unrealistic. If you have better ones, please share:
    2. Rent a family hotel room for a couple of weeks and start searching for a house. (expensive!)
    3. I’ve read about “renting a house with flexible contract”, in other words easy withdrawable with x weeks’ notice?
    4. Rent a house for a year.
    5. ?

Is it even possible to rent a house while I’m in my trial period?

Cheers. Jirax

Have you considered moving alone for 4-6 weeks while you settle at your new work place and then prepare for your family to arrive? That way you can look for cheaper short term rental close to your work, free of the risk of what-if the job doesn't work out and moreover flexibility to look for house of your choice without any hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Is it even possible to rent a house while I’m in my trial period?

Have a look at serviced apartments- you can negotiate long term rates (month or longer) with them.

http://www.waldorf.co.nz/

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Have you considered moving alone for 4-6 weeks while you settle at your new work place and then prepare for your family to arrive? That way you can look for cheaper short term rental close to your work, free of the risk of what-if the job doesn't work out and moreover flexibility to look for house of your choice without any hurry.
    Hi Sun777,

The plan was indeed that I come to NZ first and work in that company at least till I "pass" the trial period.
    However, when it comes to housing my wife is totally in charge of that area :P

If short term rental is possible, I believe that would be a good alternative. Come to NZ alone, work and arrange a short term rental.
    At least I have the accommodation covered still my family arrives. Once they are here, we can look for housing without any hurry.

Do you know if it is possible to rent a house while you're still in trial period?

Yes it is possible to rent for short term. There are apartments in city (I'm assuming you are arriving in Auckland) from $350 to $450 per week, as these apartments get rented out relatively quickly you probably need 2 week notice to move out. I'm sure if the company is investing so much time for you to fly into the country, they wont just wave good bye after 1 month. Be positive and I hope everything works out at planned.

I booked a house through an airbnb type site when we first arrived. There are a lot of places like that available. Try holidayhouses.co.nz, bookabach, etc. Often if you email the owner you can negotiate a better long-term rate. As the tourist season is starting to wind down it probably won't be too difficult to find something. For us it was about $700/week for a family of 4, so not much more expensive than what we ended up paying long-term in Auckland.
    Last edited by parpalhou; 24th March 2015 at 07:15 PM.