Thread: Is the IELTS exam required?

Default Is the IELTS exam required?

Hi all,

I have a job offer from a tech company in Auckland NZ. I did the SMC point test and my score was widely over the 140 marker.

I was wondering if the IELTS exam is required in my case?

Cheers, Jirax

See SM5.5 c, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm You may not need IELTS, but you will need to prove something.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    See SM5.5 c, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/41495.htm You may not need IELTS, but you will need to prove something.
    Hi JandM,

I appreciate the quick reply

What do you mean with "prove something"?
    A copy of my bachelor degree perhaps? My education wasn't fully in English, but all the books that I read are.

Cheers, J

You have to prove in some official way that you have English ability. If the course for your degree was taught ENTIRELY in English, you would have to write to the university and ask for a letter stating that you (name), date of birth (whatever), attended the course for (whatever degree) between this date and that date, and the course was taught in English, then that letter would be proof you could send to INZ. Or if you have a job where you have to communicate in English in speech and writing at a high level of fluency for more than half your time, a letter from the employer saying that could be evidence. Without something like that, you have to sit IELTS and get at least a 6.5 average.