Thread: Please share your experience on ICT interviews

Lightbulb Please share your experience on ICT interviews

Hi,

My domain is Java/J2ee having 8 years of experince, so I would like get some idea about the interview process(ICT) in New Zealand from who has gone through NZ interviews.

Please provide any tips to prepare for the interview.

Thanks for your help in advance....

Not specific to technology but I have heard there are psychometric tests also conducted for permanent positions (not all the companies but few do). Prepare well with basics, during interviews it helps to take examples from your projects & engagements, typically about the challenges and how they were resolved, lessons learnt.

I've said it before, NZ is a country of just over 4m people, the large/enterprise IT landscape is predominantly dominated by Microsoft, with MS and PHP filling in the SME market. There are Java implementations, I've worked on some of them, but they are significantly rarer then you would find in Europe, Asia or North America and there is a large amount of outsourcing on them.

Interview wise, if you are going through an agency expect psychometric, language (English competency), technical (competency, conversational and hands on) and personality interviews, depending on the seniority of the position.

Thanks for your advice.

Hope the IT market is good in NZ now, and I am planning to fly to NZ by early next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_J View Post
    early next year.
    Just make sure that early is after March, as more job adverts start flowing in after mid-February onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Just make sure that early is after March, as more job adverts start flowing in after mid-February onwards.
    Yes I am thinking to fly by end of Feb month, so I can have enough time to prepare myself in NZ. Thanks again

Hi Folks

This is Prashanth Nagula. I have over 8.8 years of experience in Software Testing gained within IT Industry. I am currently working as Technical Test Lead for a Leading MNC in India.

I have a valid work Visa [ Silver Fern Job Search and Work Visa]. I am intended to Arrive Auckland on May 1st 2015, and have made necessary travel arrangements for the same.

I request you folks to guide me in my job search.

Many Thanks
    Prashanth N

Hi Prashant,

There're quite a few jobs for QA test leads and test analysts.. Just have a look at seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz with the appropriate keywords to match your skills with the available jobs here..

The key here is patience since the industry is quite different to what you're used to in India where recruiters and companies hunt after you. The process here takes time and you need to give yourself plenty after you land here so that you don't stress yourself out.. A word of advice is to be well versed with SDLC methodologies and be honest on your resume. Seek should give you templates on how to prepare a kiwi style CV. If possible, keep your linkedin profile up to date and ask for recommendations through the site from colleagues/customers since written recommendations aren't common in India.

All the best

Cheers

Mudit

Thanks for the useful information.