Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations of places to live in Auckland

Post Recommendations of places to live in Auckland

Hi all,

I’m currently exploring my accommodation options in Auckland as I will be arriving in a couple of months.

- My company is at the Central Business District.
    - Not really a big fan of buses etc., so my preference would be somewhere where there is a metro line. I heard that it’s not everywhere yet.
    - Fast internet is a MUST :P I’ve read about places in Auckland where the internet is extremely slow…
    - Save, kind friendly place.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    - Not really a big fan of buses etc., so my preference would be somewhere where there is a metro line. I heard that it’s not everywhere yet.
    Have a look at the train lines connecting to Britomart. All the train lines converge at Britomart, I have known people travelling all the way from Papakura (South) to CBD, likewise from Onehunga and Henderson (West)

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    - Fast internet is a MUST :P I’ve read about places in Auckland where the internet is extremely slow…
    There is Ultra Broadband available but you can check this link for the map and availability in certain area, but do note that all the information is not 100% accurate as the map says that we will have UFB in our area by march and there are no signs of Chorus contractors in our neighborhood

Vodafone has some sort of Red network which has high speed internet and available within a local loop.

One of those piece of string questions. "Where to live in Auckland" is a good search term, not least because it's the title of a very useful book on the subject. They will ship internationally, but it's not cheap, so you can use this Hometopia to access the specific chapters you want. Don't think it deals with broadband though, but Sun777 has addressed that.

The trains in Auckland are rather infrequent IMO - I take the bus whenever I can because they tend to be much more frequent. The train line coverage is also very poor.

So, if you really don't like buses, your best bet is to decide whether you want to drive or not. Find out if your company offers parking - most parking spots in the CBD are ridiculously expensive even if you strike a long-term deal - if it does then you can live anywhere in the East and South. If it does not, and/or you don't want to buy a car, the second option is to rent an apartment in the CBD itself and walk to work (this is assuming you have no children, as the CBD apartments are very small for the price and are unsuitable for larger families). Internet there is decent and it's reasonably safe.
    Last edited by Elliana; 31st March 2015 at 12:36 AM.

Hiya, Ive heard from a few friends on the Nth Shore it isnt the most convenient . I think somewhere in the city with a rail link would be a better idea?

About North Shore being convenient, or not - I think it depends on where you have to get to for work, and what your hours are.

Quote Originally Posted by ah19870 View Post
    Hiya, Ive heard from a few friends on the Nth Shore it isnt the most convenient .
    During peak hours the bus journey from Albany/Constellation drive (Northshore) to CBD takes around 25-30 minutes which is considerably less compared to closer areas like Ellerslie/Greenlane. Having lived in both places I make that comparison.

Consider Remuera/Ellerslie that are close to train lines. On the east, consider Orakie, Mission Bay and Kohimarama. you cannot really know the neighborhood unless you see it yourself.

Howick - lovely village feel and 5 minutes to the Half Moon Bay Marina and Ferry (30 minutes to CBD and a lovely way to start/finish the day)

Half Moon Bay is lovely too but a lot of sub-divided plots (two houses on one plot) and expensive, but if you can find a good house (or don't mind not having a garden), a fantastic location too.

Well, must go and catch that very same ferry back home now :-)

I had similar reqs and that's why I chose Parnell. When I first moved here thankfully I had a mate to stay with but now I bought and live here permanently. Rather like the area and its convenience to just about everywhere especially the CBD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast