Thread: When is the best time to search for housing?

Default When is the best time to search for housing?

Before I fly to Auckland, I’ll need to make a 1 week stop at Wellington because that’s where the HQ resides.
    If everything goes correctly I expect to be in Wellington in 2 months from today. When would be the best moment to start searching for housing? Perhaps 2 months upfront is too early.
    Perhaps when I arrive in Wellington? I’m afraid not able to find a proper house in this short span….

Yes 2 months is a long time, previously when we started looking for houses (even after giving 1 month notice to current home owner) - 2 weeks time for move-in was the time good enough for the home owners (in our past 3 moves).

At our current residence, we had paid 3 weeks rent even before move-in as we liked the place a lot and didn't want to miss it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Yes 2 months is a long time, previously when we started looking for houses (even after giving 1 month notice to current home owner) - 2 weeks time for move-in was the time good enough for the home owners (in our past 3 moves).

At our current residence, we had paid 3 weeks rent even before move-in as we liked the place a lot and didn't want to miss it out.
    Thanks for the information Sun777

A lot of people from the forum arrange some kind of temporary accommodation (hostel, bach, etc., depending on alone or with family, finances, location, etc.) for when they first arrive, to give themselves time to look around and get a feel for areas. It's all very well having recommendations from others, but that doesn't give room for each person's instinctive likes and dislikes only when you actually stand in THAT street, or THAT house. It's miserable to be tied into even 6 months' lease, if you know from the moment you step in the door that this is NOT your home.

What's your situation? If by yourself, some of the hostels are pretty good (you can get a private room with a shared bathroom) and are relatively cheap when you are new to the city. They are also very central. When we came, we stayed at an AirBnB rental for 3 weeks before we moved into the house we had bought.

Quote Originally Posted by dede View Post
    What's your situation? If by yourself, some of the hostels are pretty good (you can get a private room with a shared bathroom) and are relatively cheap when you are new to the city. They are also very central. When we came, we stayed at an AirBnB rental for 3 weeks before we moved into the house we had bought.
    Hi Dede,

Thanks for the tip. I'll be heading to NZ first. My family will join me 2 months later. So a hostel is perhaps not a bad idea

Also flatting is also good idea, most likely you will be able to find something in the CBD but make sure you keep your passports and other valuables safely in a locker or with trusted people.