Thread: Domestic fee primarily school

Default Domestic fee primarily school

Hi all,

I’m having trouble to find some information regarding schooling.
    I have a job offer and will be heading to Auckland NZ on the ‘Work to Residence Talent’ visa.

My daughter is 5 years and will need to attend primarily school.

I’ve read that the child of someone with a work visa (Talent) will be regarded as a domestic student and fee.
    Can anybody give me an indication of the free of domestic pupils in NZ.

Cheers, J

You will need a student visa for your daughter. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...yinnewzealand/ You fill out the form as if you were her, but of course, sign on her behalf as her parent. Give all your details in a covering letter linking her case to your own, and she will be given a visa matching yours for length of time.

There isn't an easy answer to how much schooling will cost - it's nominally free, but donations are asked for to cover various aspects of school life, and these vary from school to school. Here is an overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_fees_in_New_Zealand, and if you use Search, you'll find old threads discussing Donations.

Hi. As a domestic student (you are correct about this) there will be no fee for your daughter to attend any but private schools. You may need to purchase a uniform and possibly some stationery for her, but that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You will need a student visa for your daughter. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...yinnewzealand/ You fill out the form as if you were her, but of course, sign on her behalf as her parent. Give all your details in a covering letter linking her case to your own, and she will be given a visa matching yours for length of time.

There isn't an easy answer to how much schooling will cost - it's nominally free, but donations are asked for to cover various aspects of school life, and these vary from school to school. Here is an overview http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_fees_in_New_Zealand, and if you use Search, you'll find old threads discussing Donations.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll fill out her form right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. As a domestic student (you are correct about this) there will be no fee for your daughter to attend any but private schools. You may need to purchase a uniform and possibly some stationery for her, but that's it!
    Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Good to hear
    Just to clarify, the donations JandM mentions, although in theory are voluntary, are an additional cost. Though they can't require you to pay them, some schools go to extraordinary measures to extract these donations from you. Although they are not allowed to withhold educational materials in order to get the donations, they sometimes try. They often withhold access to extra-curricular activities to get parents to pay the donations. The donations that schools ask for vary greatly from location to location. They range from under $50 to hundreds of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    Just to clarify, the donations JandM mentions, although in theory are voluntary, are an additional cost. Though they can't require you to pay them, some schools go to extraordinary measures to extract these donations from you. Although they are not allowed to withhold educational materials in order to get the donations, they sometimes try. They often withhold access to extra-curricular activities to get parents to pay the donations. The donations that schools ask for vary greatly from location to location. They range from under $50 to hundreds of dollars.
    Didn't know it was that extreme in NZ. Thanks for the clarification.

Our primary fees for Decile 9 and 10 are $120 and $95 respectively+ paper and stationary fee. Not too unreasonable and I have always paid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Our primary fees for Decile 9 and 10 are $120 and $95 respectively+ paper and stationary fee. Not too unreasonable and I have always paid them.
    This is true for schools outside of Auckland but you should set aside between $200-$600 per student for donations, if you are thinking inner-city Auckland schools. Ask, schools are very open about what the donations amounts are and what the funds are used for.