Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is child/booster seats mandatory in NZ for travellers ?

Another thought is to hire a large enough people-carrier to seat everyone, or even a mini-bus, with a trailer for your luggage.

There are too many cases of foreign drivers being killed or having serious accidents on NZ roads.
    Do not consider driving a vehicle which is too big for you. And your children need proper car seats.
    I would consider two cars. The car hire is just the start of your expenses!

thanks all for your suggestions..

I would love to travel in a campervan because i m an adventure seeking guy myself.. i have already planned to travel in campervan once i move to NZ next year if all goes well with my SMC visa. Driving a 2 seater campervan should not be problem whereas handling a 6 seater huge campervan is until im used to the nz roads/laws.

we managed to find a 10 seater nissan caravan from jucy rentals which is 30% expensive than our original choice of toyota previa. We have to accept it and move forward as we want to travel as a group rather than 2 different cars which wont be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post

Your drive from Queenstown to the beginning of Milford road will be around 3 hours. And from there to the sound - a further 2-3 hours depending on how frequently and how long you stop to check the attractions. The cruise is another 2 hours or so. So a trip to Milford from Queenstown usually start off early and ends in the evening.

The largest camper is a 6-berth (i.e 6 adults) so it is in no way capable of fitting your group together. You will need to get 2 campers, something I think a lot of people advising you have overlooked.
    Thanks batgirl1001.

Btw do you know how the road conditions will be during September ? Should we expect snow or ice on the roads between Queenstown to Milford Sound ? How difficult is to fix/remove the snow chains ? We had liven in countries with harsh winter before but never driven anywhere with snow on roads.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    Should we expect snow or ice on the roads between Queenstown to Milford Sound ? How difficult is to fix/remove the snow chains ?
    It is very likely. The road can sometimes be closed. It is a VERY dangerous road in inclement weather. Have an alternative plan to do something else if it's bad weather. I wouldn't recommend your first time driving in icy, snowy weather to be on that road.

I haven't been to Milford in September (usually winter and summer) but September for NZ as a whole is not great. It is a transitional period and in the N. Island, there's usually a lot of rain - sometimes torrential, strong wind. Miserable usually for Auckland. In the S. Island, there is less rain with some likelihood for snow (ice is unlikely) but there are more possibility for slips and mud.

Between Queenstown to Te Anau, usually open or if not, then there would be alternative routes. Milford Road, yes; it can close for several hours if there is an especially bad slip or rockfall. Takes them a couple of hours to clean up.

In Queenstown, you can check 'i' to find out about the weather before proceeding on the journey. Or if you prefer spend the night in Te Anau, which is just 10 mins from Milford and gives you more time to explore the fiordland and catch the cruise. I believe the last cruise is 2 or 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    It is very likely. The road can sometimes be closed. It is a VERY dangerous road in inclement weather. Have an alternative plan to do something else if it's bad weather. I wouldn't recommend your first time driving in icy, snowy weather to be on that road.
    Yes kiwieagle thats exactly what we intend to do. if weather permits we will drive to milford sound else drive around queentown

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    I haven't been to Milford in September (usually winter and summer) but September for NZ as a whole is not great. It is a transitional period and in the N. Island, there's usually a lot of rain - sometimes torrential, strong wind. Miserable usually for Auckland. In the S. Island, there is less rain with some likelihood for snow (ice is unlikely) but there are more possibility for slips and mud.

Between Queenstown to Te Anau, usually open or if not, then there would be alternative routes. Milford Road, yes; it can close for several hours if there is an especially bad slip or rockfall. Takes them a couple of hours to clean up.

In Queenstown, you can check 'i' to find out about the weather before proceeding on the journey. Or if you prefer spend the night in Te Anau, which is just 10 mins from Milford and gives you more time to explore the fiordland and catch the cruise. I believe the last cruise is 2 or 3pm.

I agree with you on the Queenstown part where avalanche/rock slips are expected in few stretches of road to Queenstown. What about Auckland ? Would we be able to drive as you mentioned we should expect torrential rain. We intend to take a long drive to cape reinga from Auckland CBD on our second day.

If you look here http://www.wunderground.com/weather-.../Auckland.html, then go down on the left to the 'History' box, and the calendar view, you can track right through the year to see what exactly the weather has been doing through the full year.

It is recommended that you pay heed to weather warnings when the metservice makes such an announcement because they are more often right than wrong. Driving in torrential rain is difficult, like driving through a monsoon rain, as visibility is severely reduced. I can't guarantee anything about NZ weather but historically September is rather gloomy and rainy for Auckland. Northland is a little drier.

However driving from Auckland to Cape Reinga is an extraordinarily punishing drive, I doubt you will be able to reach the cape in 1 day. And I am not certain if you go there, you won't be disappointed with the destination. It took me 8 hours to reach Ahipara from Auckland in a car. I won't suggest it. At least break it up into a few days and if possibly see the Bay of Islands (Paihia, Russell, Kerikeri etc) to check out some wonderful towns and attractions in Northland.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast