Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is child/booster seats mandatory in NZ for travellers ?

I am surprised at your choice of towns..AKL Hamilton and Queenstown. Are they possible places with job oppurtunities? (sorry cannot spell that word). I understand maybe ALK and Queenstown but Hamilton? I would have checked out Nelson, Napier, Tauranga to name just a few. just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    I am surprised at your choice of towns..AKL Hamilton and Queenstown. Are they possible places with job oppurtunities? (sorry cannot spell that word). I understand maybe ALK and Queenstown but Hamilton? I would have checked out Nelson, Napier, Tauranga to name just a few. just my thoughts.
    not at all related to Job opportunities. Singapore to Auckland route is the only cheaper route when compared to Welly or Christchurch so we land in Auckland and spend 4 days to travel around. Hamilton was chosen as we can travel to Waitomo/Matamata/Rotorua in a day trip so we spend about 4 days to travel in and around hamilton. Queenstown was chosen to visit Franz josef/Milford sound/lindis pass etc and spend about 6 days in south island.

will visit Canterbury and Malborough once we move to NZ permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post
    not at all related to Job opportunities. Singapore to Auckland route is the only cheaper route when compared to Welly or Christchurch so we land in Auckland and spend 4 days to travel around. Hamilton was chosen as we can travel to Waitomo/Matamata/Rotorua in a day trip so we spend about 4 days to travel in and around hamilton. Queenstown was chosen to visit Franz josef/Milford sound/lindis pass etc and spend about 6 days in south island.

Ok, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nms.sun3 View Post

Are you planning to stay in Queenstown and visit those places on day trips? Milford sound/the glaciers are a long from queenstown.

Yes, it took us about 3/4 of a day (with stops for food etc.) to go from Franz Josef to Queenstown, and that was in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Nelson?

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    (ice is unlikely)
    I agree with all of the advice that batgirl has given you in this thread except this. Ice is likely. Black ice on South Island alpine roads is pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwieagle View Post
    I agree with all of the advice that batgirl has given you in this thread except this. Ice is likely. Black ice on South Island alpine roads is pretty normal.
    Normally I would agree with you but the OP ask about September, so I venture to say it is very unlikely. September is a little warmer for the whole of NZ. For black ice to form, the water should fall to the ground at below freezing temperature. However mud is a real issue since there is a lot of rain in September. Fortunately mud can be seen quite clearly and a responsible driver should slow down considerably when driving.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Are you planning to stay in Queenstown and visit those places on day trips? Milford sound/the glaciers are a long from queenstown.
    Yes we have booked a holiday rental close to lake in Queenstown for 5 nights and intend to visit Milford Sound on day trip either by self drive if weather permits or book it through tour operators which includes travel/cruise/lunch from Queenstown. Glaciers were ruled out as we are travelling with 3 kids aged between 1-2 and we are not sure whether they can manage the cold weather around glacier. Glaciers are put on hold until we move to NZ next year and most likely visit it once our daughter acclimatized to the mild cold weather in NZ ~ 10-25 C. Singapore is quite hot and humid all year and my kid is here since she was born.

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Nelson?
    We did plan initially to cover NI and SI by car but 2 weeks wasnt enough for that. Auckland --> Hamilton --> Wellington --> Picton --> Christchurch --> Queenstown was our original plan. We skipped Wellington as it wasnt much of a natures paradise. I may even get settled in Wellington and thats why it has made us to skip Welly on our first trip to NZ :lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast