Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thing I Miss Most...Mexican Food

Default The Thing I Miss Most...Mexican Food

I know I'm not the only one that really misses Mexican food. I had someone suggest Mexico to me, and I'm really glad I looked up the menu before heading in to give them a try. Lamb taco with mint salsa is NOT real Mexican food. Lol...vent over. Anyone else feel my pain? Better yet..anyone found authentic Mexican food?

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    I know I'm not the only one that really misses Mexican food. I had someone suggest Mexico to me, and I'm really glad I looked up the menu before heading in to give them a try. Lamb taco with mint salsa is NOT real Mexican food. Lol...vent over. Anyone else feel my pain? Better yet..anyone found authentic Mexican food?
    I feel ya! Luckily, there are a few people from Mexico that live in Nelson and so occasionally there will be Mexican food events. Although, those are often quite specific to the regions where those people come from. Viva Mexico in Wellington is owned by a man from Mexico City and the menu hasn't been "kiwified". I really do miss Baja flavours. I've yet to find that anywhere. I shop at Mexifoods.co.nz and make my own.

I make my own. Since when did a quesadilla have sweet corn on it There is one in Wellington on Manners which is almost there, but it has been kiwified.the one on molesowrth Street lost the plot when it got a Chinese chef......

and salsa does not come out of a jar unless you are a Doritos freak. Pico de Galla or salsa verde seems to be totally absent. My last Quesidilla was presented with sweet chilli sauce
    Last edited by RedVee; 31st March 2015 at 07:16 PM.

I usually venture out in Auckland CBD where you have couple of choices Mexican Cafe (opp AA office) and Little Mexico

OMG I would KILL someone, well not really...for some authentic MEXICAN FOOD. Also, a jalpeno! I found you can buy 4 metric tons of them online...anyone want to pitch in with me? (14 years a Texan..really need some MEXICAN FOOD).

We also make our own. Regularly (with margaritas). We also have a veritable chilli farm in the back garden. One well-positioned and well-tended Jalapeno plant will produce 100 beautiful chillies.

Quote Originally Posted by Norgal View Post
    Also, a jalpeno! I found you can buy 4 metric tons of them online...anyone want to pitch in with me? (14 years a Texan..really need some MEXICAN FOOD).
    I'm not there yet, nor am I a Mexican/Texan/Californian, but is there something wrong with Countdown jalapenos?

My wife and I are anticipating moving to New Zealand early next year and are already mourning the apparent absence of Tex-Mex. We enjoy our frequent trips to good Mexican restaurants even more now since we know this is going to go away. Hopefully, we will find something there to fill the void. How many bottles of salsa can you take in a carry-on anyway?- the two ounce liquid limit is going to be a problem- two ounces is enough for one chip!

I started making my own salsa. You'll find you make a lot of your own everything in New Zealand! Which is probably a good thing when it comes down to it. I was toying with the idea of making my own tortillas but I haven't gotten there yet (though of course you can buy tortillas here)

Quote Originally Posted by docskj64 View Post
    My wife and I are anticipating moving to New Zealand early next year and are already mourning the apparent absence of Tex-Mex. We enjoy our frequent trips to good Mexican restaurants even more now since we know this is going to go away. Hopefully, we will find something there to fill the void. How many bottles of salsa can you take in a carry-on anyway?- the two ounce liquid limit is going to be a problem- two ounces is enough for one chip!
    Salsa is available at any supermarket but the selection is limited - Old El Paso and the like.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast