Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Thing I Miss Most...Mexican Food

A $20 NZD burrito may sound like a lot but it isn't much different than a USD priced burrito. First take off the 20% gratuity that you'd pay in the states which lowers the price to $16.66, then remove the GST making it $14.49, then convert to USD at an exchange rate of $.75NZD to USD making it $10.86. There are several mexican restaurants in Colorado and New Mexico that charge more than that so I don't see that as being crazy expensive?

I see your point. And if you are still earning US dollars, that's fine, but I'm earning and paying NZ dollars so why would I convert it? Why would I remove GST when I have to pay it? It's all well and good for tourists and people that earn the US dollar to make these kinds of theoretical deductions, but those of us that live in a wholly Kiwi economy are paying $20 not $10.86. So, in my economic reality, $20 is more than double what I paid in the US. I paid about $6 or $7 there making it a much smaller chunk of my discretionary budget.

I'm sure there are restaurants in California that charge that (and more) but I wouldn't go there. Sorry, but $20 for a burrito is too much for me. Luckily there are places in NZ that charge more reasonable prices like $12-15 at varying degrees of successful deliciousness. I do make it a point to eat Mexican food in NZ wherever I am and whenever I see it!
    Last edited by kiwieagle; 17th September 2016 at 11:01 AM.

I have a problem paying $20 for a burrito that is not really a burrito, however. Anyone used to Tex-Mex or Mexicali real Mexican food should make their own and skip the faux Mexican restos in Auckland. We make our own pico, buy our chillies at an Indian market (Yogijis) and use our own seasonings for taco meat. The Pam's taco shells at New World are about as good as Old El Paso and usually less expensive. Haven't found a flour tortilla source yet, which is probably a good thing *burp*

Pies--savoury, often meat pies--are perhaps most analogous to Mexican here. #dontdrinkandfry

That site is awesome, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by jawnbc View Post
    I have a problem paying $20 for a burrito that is not really a burrito, however. Anyone used to Tex-Mex or Mexicali real Mexican food should make their own and skip the faux Mexican restos in Auckland. We make our own pico, buy our chillies at an Indian market (Yogijis) and use our own seasonings for taco meat. The Pam's taco shells at New World are about as good as Old El Paso and usually less expensive. Haven't found a flour tortilla source yet, which is probably a good thing *burp*

Pies--savoury, often meat pies--are perhaps most analogous to Mexican here. #dontdrinkandfry

Sounds great, can you please post your recipe?

Ooo, Nelson food events? Specific to regions of Mexico? Sign me up!
    We may actually spend a few months in Mexico before we make the big move to NZ, so at least we will be stuffed with all the goodies beforehand...(although it will probably just make the hankering far worse lol)
    During our research trip almost 10 years ago, we also objected mainly to the cheese when we were able to find a burrito in Christchurch (having rejected the first Auckland and Wellington offerings we found, based on price point, heh). Yes, the cheese may be "tasty" or "very tasty," but it sure isn't Monterey Jack. Has anyone been able to find a jack-like cheese?
    Back then, a Mexican ex-pat pointed us to an international food court in Auckland that was actually pretty good. They did the rice in these cute little pyramids...wish I could remember the name. They complained about not being able to get tomatillos and such due to import protocols. If there's no protocol, you're SOL...
    I wonder how much has changed in the meantime? I'm guessing not a ton :-) Glad to hear that dried pintos, fresh chiles and masa can be found, at least. It's just not the same without cheeeeese!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234