Thread: Java Oracle Certification

Lightbulb Java Oracle Certification

Hi I am currently working in Singapore with 8 years of Java experience, I have Masters in Software Engineering.

I will be flying to NZ by Feb 2016...

The Oracle certification is must to get a job in NZ ?

if its must, then I need to take the certifications before coming to NZ.

Please advice......

Hi. It is not essential to have the Oracle certification - a lot will depend on your experience. The vendor certification has no relevance to immigration, but it can help with getting a job. You say you will be flying to NZ in Feb 2106. Does this mean you already have your residence and will be looking for jobs on arrival? If you start applying for jobs before you get to NZ, even with a residence visa, don't be too despondent if you are unsuccessful. I am finding that many people are having to wait until they have the visa and are actually in NZ with an NZ address and phone number. However, if you just happened to have a really good niche set of experience, you could be lucky. I do hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Phillips View Post
    Hi. It is not essential to have the Oracle certification - a lot will depend on your experience. The vendor certification has no relevance to immigration, but it can help with getting a job. You say you will be flying to NZ in Feb 2106. Does this mean you already have your residence and will be looking for jobs on arrival? If you start applying for jobs before you get to NZ, even with a residence visa, don't be too despondent if you are unsuccessful. I am finding that many people are having to wait until they have the visa and are actually in NZ with an NZ address and phone number. However, if you just happened to have a really good niche set of experience, you could be lucky. I do hope so!

Hi Karen, thanks for your reply. Yes I got NZ residence visa, and I will be looking for jobs on arrival. I too heard that we need to be there physically to attend the face to face interviews, so I hope for the best..

Given lack of NZ work experience, the certification will definelty be an asset. Potential employers will look at work experience, project experience, team sizes, your roles as well as certifications and possibly ask for psychometric as well as programming and language tests.

I've said this before, NZ is a country of only 4 million people, the IT landscape, including enterprise, is predominantly dominated by Microsoft. One side of my company does enterprise Java, but we have limited local development resources and predominantly work through and extended workbench in India... It is my understanding this is quite common in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_J View Post
    The Oracle certification is must to get a job in NZ ?

if its must, then I need to take the certifications before coming to NZ.

Its not a must but certification always helps, there are also requirements for companies to have certified staff to use/own some technologies, similarly if you happen to get role with a IT Vendor or Support team then they would always prefer their staff to have either experience, certification or both. Training courses in New Zealand (the ones I have done) are bit expensive so make sure you do that comparison too and as you have time on your side, do make the most of it.

Thanks you