Thread: Working for an Internet service provider is not skilled?

Default Working for an Internet service provider is not skilled?

I have everyone who applied for Residency within my same company successful in their application except mine (though its still ongoing) , they've all applied under IT support since we were working for an Internet service provider, but when i applied i've been told by my CO that my tasks does not match the tittle even though Internet service provider is as IT as it gets... does that mean IT is only bound to hardware and software? if so why's that everyone before me are successful in their application?

What's your job description? Does it match any ANZSCO skilled occupation?

troubleshooting internet and phone connection, does not match exactly, since my CO is looking for hardware and software hands-on then over the phone remote support

Did you use right classification of qualifications, work experience and roles/responsibilities. There could be various factors like what Swearwolves mentioned. In NZ, IT is also broadly classified as ICT, in which case I would expect troubleshooting connection lines, phones, firmware etc included in it. There has been a lot of convergence that has occurred in technology and there isnt much distinction between how IT (Software/Hardware, Project Management, Business Analysis, System Analysis etc) was classified say 10 years back, nowadays with tablets,smartphones etc we do have so many apps that are broadly classified as softwares. Try to speak on these lines and link your case, and see the response. Its just my personal viewpoints with knowledge in this area.

I'm not sure but is there any classification for IT Services in ANZSCO (e.g. the likes of Service Desk Manager, Service Delivery Manager etc) ?

Thats the thing.. I do troubleshoot phone lines and network well internet is an network as well. and ICT is information communication technology yet there's no classification and my CO can only say "no" it does not match while agreeing with me its IT itself...

I am in service delivery which covers provisioning of internet and phones plus troubleshooting connection and more... my Manager even advised that i covers wide range of skillset, which CO advised even though my manager agreed it still does not match ANZSCO... even provided a support letter from the HR of my company and all...

What is the exact wording of the CO's notification that things don't match up?

It does not appear that it is a core part of your job to provide support, education and guidance in the deployment of and maintenance of computer infrastructure and diagnosis resolution of technical problems and issues as per description for 313112 ICT customer support officer.

exactly what he wrote...

does he means only computers are ICT?

Quote Originally Posted by Feze View Post
    It does not appear that it is a core part of your job to provide support, education and guidance in the deployment of and maintenance of computer infrastructure and diagnosis resolution of technical problems and issues as per description for 313112 ICT customer support officer.

exactly what he wrote...

does he means only computers are ICT?
    In that context, yes they are probably looking at the keyword "computer". Does any of the below 2 match closely with what you do? Also it would benefit if you can cross check with your colleagues on which one they had applied for.

These days internet is used literally in any device including televisions so that could be one reason your CO is looking for computers.

have checked those 2 options but ICT support officer are the closes one since we do it remotely while the above seems more hands-on.

my colleagues applied under this category as well even without a supporting letter from the company.