Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thames

Default Thames

Hi Folks!

I have had a job opportunity come up in Thames, and I am hoping for some info about the area, beyond what I can glean off the internet. What its like to live there, climate, bugs, access to services etc. I have a seven-year old, so any first-hand knowledge of the schools would be really appreciated as well. I'm expecting we will be renting for at least the first little while, and would love to live somewhere where I can have a large garden, so the feasibility of that is an interest for me as well. We are a young family, not into the nightlife scene. Very interested in access to local food, nice places to hike and swim. my daughter is very sporty, though I know her preferred sport (ice hockey) is not going to be an option over there!

Thanks!!!

Hi there, what a shame you haven't had any replies. We are moving to Thames in November from the Uk with our 6 year old son too. Debating whether to live there or commute from Paunui or Tairua where the houses seem better. Have been looking at schools there and Te Puru which looks nice. Have you moved yet?
    Thanks
    Meeshy

Hi,

Hi to you both,

We live in Te Aroha which is about 45 minutes away, we where there in Thames actually yesterday!! I cannot comment on schools as we do not live that close. We go out for lunch and go food shopping as there is a 'pac and save' big supermarket that can be cheaper than others there and cannot complain (bring over your recycle bags as they charge you for carrier bags and they are not the best). You are close to the Corromandel which is nice if you want to go to the beach.
    We have a baby on the way, due in October and a toddler who will be 2 in January. There is a mini train ride that happens every Sunday which we will hopefully get to take the 2 year old on sometime. There is the rail trail bike ride that you can walk along or cycle, you also have the Kaimai ranges which I am sure there will be walks, never ventured that way so not 100% sure, we usually go to Karangahake Gorge for lovely walks and even swimming in summer!! I always see netball on and other sporting activities so you have no worries there!!

Any questions ask away and I will try and answer what I can for you!!

Default Thames living

Quote Originally Posted by Living Life View Post
    Hi,

Hi to you both,

We live in Te Aroha which is about 45 minutes away, we where there in Thames actually yesterday!! I cannot comment on schools as we do not live that close. We go out for lunch and go food shopping as there is a 'pac and save' big supermarket that can be cheaper than others there and cannot complain (bring over your recycle bags as they charge you for carrier bags and they are not the best). You are close to the Corromandel which is nice if you want to go to the beach.
    We have a baby on the way, due in October and a toddler who will be 2 in January. There is a mini train ride that happens every Sunday which we will hopefully get to take the 2 year old on sometime. There is the rail trail bike ride that you can walk along or cycle, you also have the Kaimai ranges which I am sure there will be walks, never ventured that way so not 100% sure, we usually go to Karangahake Gorge for lovely walks and even swimming in summer!! I always see netball on and other sporting activities so you have no worries there!!

Any questions ask away and I will try and answer what I can for you!!

Thanks for the reply! I have included my Bags for Life in the moving boxes now!!
    We just read some of the police reports about Thames and see there have been shootings, break-ins and all sorts of rubbish going on, bit concerned now.
    As long as hubby can commute we can live on the outskirts though I guess. Need to get out of England, we live in Lincoln although I'm Scottish. We came for a month in April, I had my hert set on Havelock North near Napier but the job didn't suit, we don't know much about Thames though hence the questions. Worth a go though, at least the mussels are amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meeshy View Post
    Worth a go though, at least the mussels are amazing.
    Ha ha I can't say I like mussels, you will get crime no matter where you are but some areas are worse than others! Once you are over here you can go on weekends out and look for places maybe to re-locate if you need to! I cannot say much about Thames as we only go through on a day out but from what I have seen and its a nice place!! What job are you doing over here? Commuting is nothing like UK ha ha… The town I live in a traffic jam consists of a Tractor and 5 cars behind ha ha I hear you about getting out of UK, we have no regrets and are so pleased to leave it all behind, we miss family and friends of course but the life here out ways it all!!

We love where we live for the reason it feels quite central to going to other places like the Corromandel, Rotorua, Tauranga, Auckland and other places!! When are you moving over? My advice also with your packing, if there is room in your container and you think you don't need something, still bring it… Yo ucan always have a garage sale afterwards, some things I got rid of and wish I brought them with just because some things are a little more expensive to replace, understandable when everything is imported!

Hi Meeshy,

Just an after thought but we get the local free paper each week through the post, ours is Piako Post… Not 100% sure if this is your local free one in Thames but it might be worth reading each week till you come over to give you an idea of local things happening good and bad in and around Thames… 'Hauraki Herald'

Default I am also heading to Thames

Quote Originally Posted by kdok View Post
    Hi Folks!

I have had a job opportunity come up in Thames, and I am hoping for some info about the area, beyond what I can glean off the internet. What its like to live there, climate, bugs, access to services etc. I have a seven-year old, so any first-hand knowledge of the schools would be really appreciated as well. I'm expecting we will be renting for at least the first little while, and would love to live somewhere where I can have a large garden, so the feasibility of that is an interest for me as well. We are a young family, not into the nightlife scene. Very interested in access to local food, nice places to hike and swim. my daughter is very sporty, though I know her preferred sport (ice hockey) is not going to be an option over there!

Thanks!!!

We are moving to Thames in Nov. from Auckland. It is a common thing to do currently due to house prices in the City. Thames seems nice and has the Coromandel as its natural playground. Schools seem to be good and have good reports. Homes and gardens come in all shapes and sizes. Ice rinks not so much!

Thanks folks! We decided to go to Tauranga in the end, as the job suited me better. Good luck to everyone with your moves!

Quote Originally Posted by kdok View Post
    Thanks folks! We decided to go to Tauranga in the end!
    Enjoy Tauranga!!

We are coming now in a few weeks, stressing out getting loose ends sorted here. Schools are a major factor in our decision, we are considering Hikuai school, Tairua or Te Puru, any thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast