Thread: Working holiday visa + visitor visa for wife??

Default Working holiday visa + visitor visa for wife??

Hello everyone,

Really need some advice regarding an idea I've had with respect to emigrating to NZ in June.

I qualify for a WHV but my wife (Colombian) does not so I was exploring the option of me going on the working holiday visa and OH going on 3month visitor visa and while there sort the work visa as I'm sure I will secure a skilled job quite quickly once there hypothetical say within 2weeks of arrival for instance ( a rough "guesstimate" ).

Is this a viable option? Can my wife change her visa to a work visa based on my essential skills visa once we're in NZ?

Any info you guys could provide me would be great and any things that you relevant even if I.haven't mentioned above. PM me if necessary.

Thanks in advance...James

Assuming you are both in NZ, you on a WHV and your wife on a visitor's visa, then you land a skilled job, you can apply for a temporary work visa, and at the same time your wife can apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, you supplying the necessary supporting form, and linking the two things with a covering letter. The CO will then work everything as one case, and will fill in what you don't know to begin with (e.g. your visa number) as it becomes available.

If you decide to give this a try, remember to collect A LOT of evidence that you live together and have done for however long, then continue to collect this partnership proof as time goes by and you are on the move, even while the visas are being processed, because the CO normally asks for a little more just before the visa is granted, to avoid issuing a visa when maybe a relationship has broken up. Even continue to collect evidence after your wife has the visa, because you will need it when you go for residence in 12 months' time. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof

Do you have a Plan B, in case you don't land a job as quickly as you hope to?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Assuming you are both in NZ, you on a WHV and your wife on a visitor's visa, then you land a skilled job, you can apply for a temporary work visa, and at the same time your wife can apply for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, you supplying the necessary supporting form, and linking the two things with a covering letter. The CO will then work everything as one case, and will fill in what you don't know to begin with (e.g. your visa number) as it becomes available.

If you decide to give this a try, remember to collect A LOT of evidence that you live together and have done for however long, then continue to collect this partnership proof as time goes by and you are on the move, even while the visas are being processed, because the CO normally asks for a little more just before the visa is granted, to avoid issuing a visa when maybe a relationship has broken up. Even continue to collect evidence after your wife has the visa, because you will need it when you go for residence in 12 months' time. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof

Do you have a Plan B, in case you don't land a job as quickly as you hope to?
    What kinds of evidence of the fact we've been together? Things such as letter to the same address? What about the residency stamp that my wife has from here in Ireland each year it is renewed and it has the same address as where we both live? Photos and our marriage cert?

Am well to be honest this is our plan b at the moment as I've been finding that it would be easier to secure a job actually being in NZ? Im just trying to think of ways that would get us there asap?

About your last point, yes, you're going to try for a job in NZ and get a visa for yourself on the back of that, but when, over in NZ, you then want HER to have a work visa as well, you're going to need proof that she is your established live-in partner. And that means collecting evidence from NOW while you are still in what has been your home base - it would be much more difficult once you have moved away from it. Look at that second link I gave you for lots of discussions about what constitutes proof of partnership. You need LOTS.