Thread: Temp. Work Visa based on Partnership to Residency - Level of Difficultly? Should I wait?

Default Temp. Work Visa based on Partnership to Residency - Level of Difficultly? Should I wait?

Hello!

So I was granted a Temp. Work Visa based on Partnership with my Kiwi partner. We recently moved to New Zealand and we have decided to stay indefinitely! I plan to apply for a Residency Visa based on Partnership in about 3 -4 months, once we have settled a bit more. We have been together 4 + years.

My question is, Should I wait longer than 3-4 months to apply? Will being in New Zealand longer help my application? I feel since I was already approved for the visa I am on now, I will have no problem getting a residency visa, but I don't want to be too caviler about it. What is the best approach? What additional information do you think I should include? I plan on getting a New Zealand drivers licenses.

Any advice would be great! Thanks

It's not time in NZ that makes any difference - it's being able to show solid evidence of at least 12 months' living together. You evidently made a good case and got your partner-sponsored work visa, proving however long you did. You need to keep on collecting evidence that you're still living at the same address, moving around together if you go on holiday, etc., as that is what the INZ CO will need to see to be able to tick the boxes to give you the next visa. What you need is just more of the same. (Have you seen the old threads? You may get some extra inspiration there. https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof)

You may well find that it takes INZ a long time to process your application for Residence, judging by the fact that this often happens for people who are already in NZ on a temporary work visa of whatever kind. It's as if INZ think, 'This person is already legally here and working, so they don't need the rush as much as people who need their first visa to start earning their living.' So it's possible that things could drag on till you're getting towards the end of your work visa. If you get within eight weeks of the expiry date, and write in saying it will shortly expire and will your Residence be through in time, it has happened to many other people that their Residence magically appeared within the next week or so.