Thread: Auckland suburbs - Live and Commute

Default Auckland suburbs - Live and Commute

Hi All,

After advice on the following.

I will be working in Papatoetoe, South Auckland and want to live in a nice suburb without a monstrous commute. I really like the Parnell, Orakai, Mission Bay or Mount Eden areas and wonder if thats a reasonable fit?.

Google maps is telling me the commute would be 20mins or so but thats without traffic.

Thanks in advance

Josh

I think from any of those 20min is a rather optimistic guess. I think Mission Bay is nice, but as with any of the other Eastern Suburbs, it will take a while to get to the motorway. Parnell will be easier to get to the motorway. You would be going against the traffic with this commute, so that would be okay, but personally I would move further South to be closer to Papatoetoe and shorten the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    I would move further South to be closer to Papatoetoe and shorten the commute.
    Agreed. Another option would be to live near the southern or eastern train line and commute by train (if your workplace is near the station).
    Train route map: https://at.govt.nz/media/897338/a3-e...nuary-2015.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Joshcm View Post
    Google maps is telling me the commute would be 20mins or so but thats without traffic.
    Just make sure you also type it what time you would want to commute, this is usually higher during peak time (e.g. school & office timings, 7am to 9am, 3pm to 6pm)

Thanks All,

I think Parnell will be my choice as it fits the lifestyle I want to have.. Just have to put up with the commute...

Just ouf of curiosity (Parnell isn't a suburb I'd personally choose, even if I could afford it ), what kind of lifestyle are you looking for?

During peak hour, it took more time for me to travel (drive) from Parnell to CBD than Northcote to CBD, this was around 5 months back; but it also depends on which area within Parnell you choose.