Thread: Stray dogs or cat poo poo on my yard/garden boxes

Unhappy Stray dogs or cat poo poo on my yard/garden boxes

Hi,

I wonder does anyone here share the same problem as me and could offer some solutions to me.

Some stray cats/dogs just love to do their big business on my yard/garden boxes. And it's very frequent, a few times a week. The problem is that I am not at home to stop them so I do not know whose dog/cat it is and therefore unable to trace the owner(s). Is there something I can do to deter them from treating my yard as a toilet? I don't want to harm them, I just want to deter them coz I am really sick of cleaning after them.........

Thanx

I suggest this, or something like them http://www.bunnings.com.au/multicrop...rent-_p3018177 or http://www.pet.co.nz/product/dog/cat-dog-repellant/2023. I Googled for NZ versions of dog and cat repellent.

If the poo is usually on the surface, easily visible, it's probably a dog's. Cats routinely dig before relieving themselves, and cover over the result afterwards, so you'd more often notice soil mounded up, or small plants disturbed.

Time for a fence!
    Cheap option: Fence your yard with a fishing line and attach stripes of plastic or some kind of foil. Animals do not like that.

Thanks JandM and Lazysnapper for your suggestions.

Based on JandM's comments, likely to be a dog's poo as it is on the surface but I think there are cats too. Caught a cat peeing on my neighbor's fence today.

Found something on the internet about sensor alarm animal chaser. Has anybody heard of this product before? It has an inbuilt sensor that gives out a sound that animals dislike but inaudible to human. Can't afford a fence as area is too wide ......

Pepper is a good deterrent, give the area in question a good shake of pepper all over it

Caught a cat peeing on my neighbor's fence today.
    It won't have been peeing, that is, not just relieving itself, on the fence - when they spray like that on a vertical object, it's a scent marking for territorial reasons, saying, 'This is part of my range - other cats, take note.'

The 'silent' deterrent things are a bit hit and miss in effect. Just recently, friends of mine got one, and at first thought it had done the trick, but within a week the disturbance of plants (the dog was burying bones) and the messing all started again, so it seems the intruder had realized that nothing actually HAPPENED when he was greeted by the noise/lights, so he didn't need to take any notice.

Recently someone suggested putting Vick's Vapour Rub on a couple of pebbles/stones and scatter around where the animal has been "offending". Apparently they don't like the smell and my friend used this successfully to stop a cat spraying on her front door. I've not tried it myself but might be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The 'silent' deterrent things are a bit hit and miss in effect. Just recently, friends of mine got one, and at first thought it had done the trick, but within a week the disturbance of plants (the dog was burying bones) and the messing all started again, so it seems the intruder had realized that nothing actually HAPPENED when he was greeted by the noise/lights, so he didn't need to take any notice.
    Wow,that is one smart doggie!