Thread: Advice on using wood burner

Unhappy Advice on using wood burner

Hi,

I'm new to using a wood burner. I have a Masport wood burner with glass door. I have been trying to use the woodburner in the last 2 days but haven't been very successful. The fire started alright but it cannot keep burning for long, it dies off after a while. The fire does not catch on to the big log. Can anyone offer some advice as to what I have done incorrectly? This is what I have done:

1. Create a inverted V shaped space in the middle with 2 medium sized logs: / \
    2. Put newspapers + kindling in the inverted V shaped space between the 2 medium sized logs
    3. Add a bigger size log across the two 2 medium sized logs (sits atop the 2 medium sized logs) /-\
    4. Close the door after about 5 mins and close half of the air vent after about 20 mins

Is there something that I have not done correctly?

Start off with kindling and then put in smaller pieces of wood. Only put in big logs when you have got a good fire going. And make sure the logs have got a good edge (ie thin) to catch on to the fire, if you see what I mean. I wouldn't put as many logs in to start with.

I like to make my kindling criss cross inside the teepee so that the larger logs can't collapse and smother the fire. It looks kind of like a loose jenga pyramid with paper inside and an inverted v teepee outside.
    Try adding kindling to your inverted v.
    Make sure your medium logs aren't too big and like girlwithanewf says, make sure they have a rough edge so they can catch fire easier.
    Make sure your starter wood is dry and an easy burning wood like willow or pine. Sizzling, dripping sap, or white smoke means it's not dry.
    Roll your newspapers into twisted circles so it burns slower.
    You don't want the space inside the inverted v to be packed too tightly with fuel but too sparse so the fuel burns out.
    Only add the first log when the starter wood is blazing, use a dry, easy burning wood for first log. Don't turn it down until you've got logs blazing. Then add hardwood or large logs. Don't turn it down until they've caught on fire.
    You've got to keep an eye on it, if it looks like it's getting low, open vent a little to add more oxygen. Sometimes softly blowing it will get it going again.

Make sure the damper is open. Did somebody service the flue? Could be a draft problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazysnapper View Post
    Make sure the damper is open. Did somebody service the flue? Could be a draft problem.
    Hi Lazysnapper, couldn't locate the damper.....

So pleased I now have a pellet fire