Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying/selling secondhand furniture and whiteware on Trademe

You could be going to visit any of the NZ population, good, bad, or middling, so take sensible precautions. Take somebody with you, preferably, or at the very least, tell people where you're going at what time for what purpose, and what time you expect to be back.

When I had smallish things to sell (i.e. that would fit in my car), I ALWAYS met in a public place, e.g. the supermarket carpark; safer for both parties that way. Obviously for the bigger stuff that wont fit in the car, you should do as J&M suggest and when selling, have a friend with you so you are not in your house alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    When I had smallish things to sell (i.e. that would fit in my car), I ALWAYS met in a public place, e.g. the supermarket carpark; safer for both parties that way.
    Ditto...car park Usually I mention it in our advert to collect it either after office hours from our apartment or car park in the city (close to my office).

Thanks guys. We'll be going as a couple to collect so should be quite safe I guess. Only buying big stuff, so meeting in a carpark isn't feasible...

Is it reasonable to ask to test out whiteware before paying? Fridge, washing machine, dryer etc. The last thing I wanna do is pay $100 for a fridge that doesn't even work...

Quote Originally Posted by Elliana View Post
    Is it reasonable to ask to test out whiteware before paying? Fridge, washing machine, dryer etc. The last thing I wanna do is pay $100 for a fridge that doesn't even work...
    Yes it is. Make sure all the details in the TradeMe advert matches with the condition of the product before paying, I know it sounds odd to check the stuff but even you are parting with hard earned money so I consider it fair.

As you are buying from a private seller, you would not be entitled to a compensation if the product fails. So you bear that risk of course with the lower prices. That's just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    Yes it is. Make sure all the details in the TradeMe advert matches with the condition of the product before paying, I know it sounds odd to check the stuff but even you are parting with hard earned money so I consider it fair.
    I agree. You're dealing with a member of the public, and they can be someone quite naive with no experience of how to put together an advert that gives full details of the item, and is fair to the prospective buyer. And apart from clumsy wording, some people are downright weird! I know you're particularly asking about furniture, but what happened to a friend of mine buying a garment last year could still arise, as it was a question of measurements. She bought a blouse, stated to be UK size 12 (which she is), and it arrived through the post. She couldn't do it up. When she looked at the printed label inside, it plainly said it was UK size 10. She contacted the seller saying she wanted to return it and have her money back because the size had been mis-stated. There were several messages to and fro, with the seller trying to convince her that it 'would be all right' (like how, when it wouldn't reach around her?), but eventually, grudgingly, the money was returned, and the final message said, 'I don't understand when you say it doesn't fit. It fits me perfectly, and I know I'm a size 10.'

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I agree. You're dealing with a member of the public, and they can be someone quite naive with no experience of how to put together an advert that gives full details of the item, and is fair to the prospective buyer. And apart from clumsy wording, some people are downright weird! I know you're particularly asking about furniture, but what happened to a friend of mine buying a garment last year could still arise, as it was a question of measurements. She bought a blouse, stated to be UK size 12 (which she is), and it arrived through the post. She couldn't do it up. When she looked at the printed label inside, it plainly said it was UK size 10. She contacted the seller saying she wanted to return it and have her money back because the size had been mis-stated. There were several messages to and fro, with the seller trying to convince her that it 'would be all right' (like how, when it wouldn't reach around her?), but eventually, grudgingly, the money was returned, and the final message said, 'I don't understand when you say it doesn't fit. It fits me perfectly, and I know I'm a size 10.'
    Oh, man. I'm sorry for your friend, I really am, but I laughed when I read that.

Crossing my fingers that our trade will turn out okay.

Yesterday OH bought a fancy comb on TradeMe which was listed as NEW, packed & sealed, when the "thing" arrived in post it was actually wrapped in a plastic bag with a torn tag & cover - we had to carefully hold it with a picker and dispose it in the bin

>.<

how much did that comb cost?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast