Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying/selling secondhand furniture and whiteware on Trademe

Default Buying/selling secondhand furniture and whiteware on Trademe

What has everyone's experience been with buying furniture and whiteware on Trademe? Have you been scammed before? Any tips for how to choose good sellers/buyers?

Also, if you bid on an item, arrange to collect, and on real-life inspection find that the item does not work properly or has issues that were not shown on the pictures, can you then cancel the purchase?

The terms on TradeMe says that the condition of the item needs to be fully described, usually we ask for these in the Q&A section. If you are not happy with the items then feel free to dispute it with TradeMe and also the seller (if you plan to pick it up in person then you have every right to walk away). I came across funny buyers and sellers, some of the buyers never turned up to pick up the item, another asked me to keep the table outside for collection & didnt bother to let me know if he even turned up for picking it up (this was $1 sale and I did mention the exact condition of the table, however he somehow assumed it was made of wood when it wasnt even mentioned on the listing) - I complained about this to TradeMe with screenshots of the messages exchanged with the buyer and they removed the negative remarks & rating.

Likewise, when we bought certain furniture they did have slightly more wear & tear but we completed the transaction anyways. With furniture be careful with the condition of the wood (sometimes these are sprayed with sanitizer just a day before the pickup which meant the insects started running around when we unloaded it in our garage). I'm sure there will be lots of good and bad experiences of people buying & selling on Trademe, but I have found them to be reasonable well with the complaint/resolution process.

Thanks, Sun.

I have been reading the trademe FAQ and it seems the most common payment method is pay on pick up? In that case do you pay the seller cash when you pick the item up, or is there a way to handle the transaction through the trademe app or something?

The listing must specify if its "pick up" is allowed (some sellers have strict post only policy). If you wish to pick the item then I would suggest you pay by cash. Alternatively (sometimes) the seller also sends their bank details in which case you can also opt to pay via bank transfer.

In my experience don't pay before you have seen the item unless its from a reputable dealer and this info you will see from the feedback left about that individual. Also check that they have been cleared by Trademe with AV mark on the side of their names which provides confirmed address. Look for how many red stars they have by their names. Just be careful really. And if your not happy with the deal when you pick up dont be afraid to say so and walk away.....they can claim back any costs from trade me and don't forget to leave feedback on any trades you do this will help others in future. Good luck!

We've got some great pieces of furniture from Trademe.
    We've found most people are happy to show us the item when we arrive to pick up and try it out too. They even point out a particular piece of wear or something. People seem quite keen to be sure we're happy with it before handing over the cash.
    The only bad experience we had was when we didn't pick up but had it delivered (small item). They took ages to send it - I phoned and emailed a number of times and just about gave up of ever seeing it (it wasn't worth going through the claims process) so I'm be wary of doing that again.

When I was selling all my household effects last year in Wellington, Trademe was a waste of time as there were very few buyers online. Facebook is the way to go - there are local buying/selling groups to join. I sold nearly all my stuff that way and was very happy with the buyers and transactions and there are no fees to pay!

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    When I was selling all my household effects last year in Wellington, Trademe was a waste of time as there were very few buyers online. Facebook is the way to go - there are local buying/selling groups to join. I sold nearly all my stuff that way and was very happy with the buyers and transactions and there are no fees to pay!
    Hmmm very interesting - I've not looked on FB for buying (or selling)... I will do!

Quote Originally Posted by wellywearer View Post
    Hmmm very interesting - I've not looked on FB for buying (or selling)... I will do!
    Same here

Thanks, guys. I have actually been part of one of the buying/selling FB groups for a while, but left due to all the spam and drama I kept seeing on it. Don't know if that was just the particular group that I joined (Auckland), but Trademe seems a lot more professional to me.

So the suggested way to conduct things on Trademe is to arrange for pay on pickup, then go there, inspect the item, and give them cash? Since you are essentially going into a stranger's house, is there a safety concern in this regard?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast