Thread: Train vs Bus

Default Train vs Bus

Hi,

I notice that many people aren't very positive about the public transport in NZ.

If possible, would you recommend going to work by train/bus? What are the pro's and cons?

There just isn't much public transportation in NZ. Whether you go by train or bus (or car or ferry) will largely depend on where you choose to live and what is available to you in that area.

NZ Public Transport can be said 'good' if you live in CBD or City Fringe. Beyond that, either the frequency is low or there are no direct routes. With Central Rail Link, more areas would come under fast Public Transport, but I do not see situation improving much, as Govt. is more into widening roads than improving Public Transport.

It depends what you're comparing it to. It's light years ahead of what you find in most of the USA, but it's far behind most of Europe and Asia. Wellington is well-served by buses, but they tend to be very crowded, and it's not a very pleasant experience. The trains are wonderful, if you live in an area that is served by rail.

The biggest problem with public transit in Wellington, and perhaps by extension, New Zealand, is that the costs do not incentivise its use. It's almost cheaper to drive into the city and pay for parking and petrol than it is to take the train, especially if you put a value on the convenience of arriving and departing on your on schedule. A return trip into the city can cost around $10 or more, depending on how far out you live. A daily car park is only $7.

If you figure in the opportunity cost of driving, that's a bit different, but few of us actually get any work done on the train, and it's just about impossible on the bus.

In Auckland, I find it almost same but most of it depends on your travel plan too e.g. if I have to travel from Mt Wellington to Britomart at 8am then I will prefer Train but if I have to travel from Te Atatu Peninsula to Britomart then the nearest train station is Mt Albert whereas a bus will take me right from door step to Britomart.

Buses
    Pros:
    - Buses have dedicated bus lanes which makes them faster during peak hours
    - Park & Ride are good options to split your travel plan

Cons:
    - Travel time dependent on traffic
    - Expensive
    - Not all areas are covered and sometimes you don't get direct buses to your destinations

Trains
    Pros:
    - Travel times are pretty much standard

Cons:
    - Coverage
    - Just like any other public transport here, its expensive
    - Sometimes you might be stuck in the tunnel at Britomart for more than 10 minutes during peak hours, for the train to find a free platform
    - No trains along Northshore

As the other posters have said, there's no way to generalise. It really depends on where you are living and working. My sons take bus and train to get to school, and it works mainly well, except that the buses are a bit random (come too late or, even better (not!) early). As a general thought, though, I think it maybe be okay if you don't have to change. So if you have one bus that takes you to your work/home, it should be doable. As soon as you need to transfer to another, not only does it get more expensive, but it also becomes a bit of a lottery.

If you are keen to use public transport, I'd either live so close to the city that you can take a bus (of course in that case personally I recommend a bike), or if you live further out, live close to a train station.

the farther you go from the CBD and the north shore motorway, the thinner public transport becomes--especially off-peak. This is a car culture place. Even so, there are lots of place that are decently served by buses. A monthly pass is expensive though: $140 a month or more, depending on where you live. If you're within walking distance of a train station and are working somewhere on its line, it's a nice way to travel.