Thread: taxes on goods

Default taxes on goods

I ordered $186 ish worth of clothes from M and S online like I have many times before. I just got a $160 bill from DHL for taxes they have paid on my behalf.

Anyone else ever had this?

We recently purchased something for $450 (customs considered postage of $100+ also to be the value of the product) and sent us $157 bill from Fedex

Check out whats-my-duty, but it doesn't appear that your bill is correct (depending on how much your postage cost?)

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Check out whats-my-duty, but it doesn't appear that your bill is correct (depending on how much your postage cost?)

Ian

And do I have to pay it? I am tempted to just tell them to send everything back and order it in smaller amounts.

At $186 you shouldn't pay any taxes- you are under the threshold. It wasn't 186 was it? In which case the bill would be about right. Or maybe they read the wrong currency by mistake?

I have never had an issue under the threshold before.
    Last edited by lou76; 9th April 2015 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou76 View Post
    At $186 you shouldn't pay any taxes- you are under the threshold. It wasn't 186 was it? In which case the bill would be about right. Or maybe they read the wrong currency by mistake?

I have never had an issue under the threshold before.
    I read the currency wrong, it was 183 pounds..eek..I calculated it and it was about right..bugger.
    What is the threshold though before you start getting charged?

Thanks,

It depends what you order (duty % varies depending on type of goods). If you follow Ian's link above it will work it out. There is also an app that I have on my mobile.

For adult clothing about 110 (goods plus postage), but this varies depending on the exchange rate at the time. Best to not get too close if you can.
    Last edited by lou76; 9th April 2015 at 11:54 PM.