Thread: [urgent] How to get my passport back - Auckland Central Branch?

Exclamation [urgent] How to get my passport back - Auckland Central Branch?

Hello,

My work visa expires on 20th May and I have to travel overseas between 25th April and 10th May.

Since I don't want to risk and wait to apply after 10th May, I'll apply tomorrow, but I'm not sure how to put a note that I need my passport back before 25th April? They have two whole weeks to precess my application, that should be enough, but I'm worried that my documents may be late because of a slow mail delivery on the way back.

I'll lodge my application at Auckland Central Branch Queen St, but I can't find the info on INZ website do they allow the documents to be collected once application is processed (instead of mailing it)?

At the reception, you can request to get the passport back. You will however need to submit your passport again when the visa needs to be stamped. It will be best to write down your justification in a cover letter, I guess your passport just stays safely in your file so it would be ok to return it back to you (its just my guess and understanding).

Alternatively, I think you can also submit it after returning back from your trip. My work visa was processed in about 5 working days (but that was way back in 2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    At the reception, you can request to get the passport back. You will however need to submit your passport again when the visa needs to be stamped. It will be best to write down your justification in a cover letter, I guess your passport just stays safely in your file so it would be ok to return it back to you (its just my guess and understanding).

Alternatively, I think you can also submit it after returning back from your trip. My work visa was processed in about 5 working days (but that was way back in 2008)
    Thank you for the reply.

I lodged my application on Friday last week with attached itinerary and explanation in the cover letter. I called them today (Thu) and they don't have any info yet, application is not visible online neither I can see the application fee payment on my online banking account... Will wait till Monday and then call them again.

Looks like it caught up in the administrative channel, yes its always good to follow up. Not sure if the people are away due to school holidays.