Thread: Home schooling an Option?

Red face Home schooling an Option?

Hi

I have posted a question about schooling on the forum before an was sent a link which read "School-age visitor visa holders can attend a primary, intermediate, or secondary school for a single period of study of up to three months per calendar year provided the study finishes within the calendar year. "

So I know my girls, aged 10 and 12 will be able to attend for at least 3 months on visitor visa (if I understand it correctly). I am however concerned as we do not have jobs and are not sure in which area we would settle. We will pretty much go where the work is. Will it be possible for me to home school them until we have found employment? Does the government offer a home school curriculum?

I do want them to make friends and not feel so "alone" so want to have them in school as soon as possible, just unsure due to the logistics. Has anyone else experienced this sort of situation and can you please give me some advice?

Thanks

Hello, What area are you moving? We homeschooled in the United States and moved to Wellington. My kids are on one year visitor visas, I understood we can not put them into school on that, they said we would need to switch it to a "student visa." But I did not know about the 3 month clause to even ask.

This area and all the major urban areas have active homeschool groups, here we have more than we can even do (weekly swimming, several drama clubs, art groups, computer coding groups, water sports, park days and on and on.)

If you are on a VISITOR visa you can NOT register your children to homeschool.
    If they are on a STUDENT visa you must register them for a school or to homeschool rather quickly.
    Homeschooling is free (they actually pay you a bit if you request that), you have to fill out a daunting long form with your plans and things to show you have some intentions to "educate your child as well as and as regularly." I found the form no problem but if you have not already home schooled it would easily be overwhelming. They have facebook pages and examples to help you. They have a NZ correspondence school not sure the age it starts, but I believe they will need to be on Student Visa's. They also have several "online schools" I know of K12, that you can enroll in and just say you are doing that, but this cost $$ it is a private company.

I think as long as they are on a Visitor Visa I would not worry about it at all. Not sure what Visa's you all have, if you or your partner have a work visa you can apply them for a student visa at any time once you know you will be settling.

-Amanda

Thanks Amanda

We will first have to secure jobs to qualify for work visas after which they can have a student visa. When we arrive there we will all be on visitors visas. Was hoping to home school but if it is not possible I will have to pursue some other alternative for the interim.

If you're on a Visitor Visa, of course you can homeschool, you just can't register with the government as New Zealand based homeschoolers. As visitors, New Zealand will not be tracking the education of your children and no registration is necessary (or possible).

Quote Originally Posted by garykertson View Post
    I don't think so that Home Schooling an Option here in this Condition.
    Could you explain what you mean by that?