Thread: CV writing services

Default CV writing services

Hi guys! Would you please advice local CV writing / advising services. Google shows there are plenty of such services with a price range from $69 to $550. So I a bit confusing what to choose. May be someone have experience of using these services? I would be much appreciated for any advices or referrals. Thank you!

Here's some free advice coming from someone that has reviewed thousands of CVs:

1. Tailor your CV (and cover letter) to the position for which you are applying. On the first pass, CVs typically get reviewed for mere seconds. The primary scan is to determine whether or not the applicant possesses the attributes and skills mentioned in the job listing. If not, into the circular file. It seems obvious but most people don't bother.
    2. Ensure your CV has no spelling, grammatical or formatting mistakes. It doesn't need to be flashy (in fact, flashy can be a turn-off) but it absolutely cannot make you look lazy or like you lack attention to detail.

There are many other things to take into account (explaining gaps or what could be perceived as job-hopping, for example) and I'm sure there are heaps of websites that dedicated to the "art" of CV writing but, the two points above will do more to get you noticed than any of the other stuff. I wouldn't dream of wasting good money on a CV-writing service.

Hi Bozeman, thanks for your advices much appreciated. Yes, I did these two points you mentioned and may be I should pay more attention to the first point. To be honest I also think that using such sort of service is just money wasting. But on the other hand may be somebody here has positive experience? Anyway, thanks again for your time, have a nice day!

Hi there, at Auckland Regional Migrant Services we can assist new migrants with job search skills and CV writing - all for free if you are under 2 years in NZ and have residency or a full work visa. I cant post the organisation's contact details on here due to the forum roles, but if you google Auckland Regional Migrant Services or PM me, I will let you know what we can do to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Anna76 View Post
    Hi there, at Auckland Regional Migrant Services we can assist new migrants with job search skills and CV writing - all for free if you are under 2 years in NZ and have residency or a full work visa. I cant post the organisation's contact details on here due to the forum roles, but if you google Auckland Regional Migrant Services or PM me, I will let you know what we can do to help.
    Hi Anna , thanks for your reply. I've been in contact with Auckland Regional Migrant Service and unfortunately this experience has not been successful. For example, contact person from this organization firmly advised me to verify my overseas Bachelor qualification, but as far as I know employers do not require official verification, it is NZ Immigration prerogative. Besides I have graduated from AUT university (postgraduate program in IT), so as you see I don't need to verify my qualification even for NZ Immigration. Actually these arguments didn't work, and I decided just to quit without any other disputes.
    Last edited by edwardson; 15th April 2015 at 06:57 PM.