Thread: Extending Skilled Work Visa?

Question Extending Skilled Work Visa?

Hi there,

I arrived from the UK in November 2013 with my Mexican partner, both of us on WHV.

By November 2014 we had both gained Skilled Work Visas - him until May 2015, and me until August 2015, through work.

Now, my work is offering me a 2-year contract, which will take me until about April 2017.

My question is: Do I need to have the exact same paperwork for this visa application? I know i'll need to fill in the correct forms, but last time I had to send a copy of my university degree, a letter of employment from my boss, and a copy of the online advert they placed to fill the role. I assume I don't need to send these things any more, since a) they have a copy of it all on record anyway and b) both the letter and the online advert will be out-dated. Can anybody confirm?

My boss mentioned that a 2-year contract is akin to a permanent contract - does this give me any new visa options (like Skilled Migrant for residency) or am I still limited to the Skilled Work Visa? (FYI I don't have any direct qualification for my role, and only have just over a year in experience).

My partner of six years won't be able to take out another visa through his work (since he's a contractor, and the initial 6 months he was given was apparently an unusual case and they wouldn't repeat this - since he has no contract and therefore no job security). Therefore, we will be taking out a partnership visa through my work offer. Can I assume that the following would suffice in proving our long-term relationship:
    1) have had a shared bank account for just over one year
    2) have been living together akin to a married couple since November 2013
    3) i'm named on his IRD, life insurance, ACC, and bank accounts
    4) we have had half of the household facilities in each of our names, proving we at least live together
    5) we have letters from both of our mothers naming both of us and wishing us well here in NZ
    6) we have flight tickets in both our names from USA to NZ in 2013
    7) we have photos taken in Venice, Paris, London, Wales, Exeter, Acapulco, New York, Saratoga, Salem, many other parts of Mexico, and New Zealand, which show us at different times of the year/aging/putting on weight/losing weight etc.
    8) these photos show each of us with our family and the family of the other

I would assume that with this it's enough proof??!

Thanks!

Sarah

My boss mentioned that a 2-year contract is akin to a permanent contract - does this give me any new visa options (like Skilled Migrant for residency) or am I still limited to the Skilled Work Visa? (FYI I don't have any direct qualification for my role, and only have just over a year in experience).
    I remember from when you were first moving from your WHV to the Essential Skills visa, how it came out that you'd need three years' experience in lieu of a formal qualification, so you're not there yet, I think.

Your list of partnership proof looks good. Don't forget to keep on collecting proof continuously.

I don't know about not sending in evidence this time round - see what one of the Licensed Immigration Advisers says.

Thanks for your advice - we went ahead and put both visas in at the same time, with a kind of cover letter stating that my partner's visa was based on my visa application and NOT on my current one - put it in on Friday afternoon and had both visas back by Wednesday morning!!!!!!!! super super fast!!! Thanks for all the support over these last few years one step closer to some stability! next stop: residency...in another 2 years! :P

Great news, and well done INZ!