Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public transport vs own car

Default public transport vs own car

Hi all,

I have the feeling that (assuming you live 30min from work) having a car in Auckland is financially better than taking public transport?

Am I correct?

As always, that depends.

As soon as you have to factor in parking in the CBD, any savings you might have made by not taking public transport will have been offset by paying for parking. If you have a job with a car park, then it might seem cheaper.

Thanks

Monthly parking in CBD Costs around $300. Early bird daily rates from about $13 to 16 per day .

The other factor is convenience. 'Auckland' covers a very large area, and there is a lot of it that lies beyond and between the 'spokes' of public transport lines. Even if you live right near a public transport route, these tend to run into the CBD, so, to go other places, which you may well wish to do for your leisure activities, chosen shopping when you get waywise, etc., it's much easier to have a car to enable you to go 'across'.

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Hi all,

I have the feeling that (assuming you live 30min from work) having a car in Auckland is financially better than taking public transport?

Am I correct?
    I would agree but it is more than just financials but the freedom to move around.

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Hi all,

Am I correct?
    As mentioned above it largely depends on parking costs. I drive to office/gym between 6 to 6:30am which takes around 20 minutes drive to office, usually fuel costs me $40 per week and $135 monthly parking in NewMarket. Taking public transport means I will spend anywhere between $15 per day plus taking a bus from home to Britomart and from Britomart to Newmarket and a lot of inconvenience of carrying my bags. In such a case taking car saves a lot of time, effort and peace of mind. Parking costs in CBD are high, around $240 to $280 for monthly parking plus whatever you pay for fuel and car EMI (if applicable).

p.s. do you have any specific mode of transport when you say 30min from work? (it will vary for walk, bus, train & ferry).

I live in New Windsor (near Mt Albert/Mt Roskill/Avondale/Blockhouse Bay) and work in Grafton. A monthly transit pass would be $140. Parking through work is $29/week and running my car is about another $20. So it's an extra $60 a month (plus the cost of buying the car), but that means a 25 minute journey door-to-door rather than an hour. But what really killed me was the extra walking: 2.5km each day to/from bus or train stops. I'm 51 years old...too old...and was shattered by Thursday night each week.

And no, I didn't lose any weight.

In my opinion owning a car is a necessity here in nz and is affordable especially if you like going to places to save a lot of waiting time. Making life at the fullest. Generally you save time & maximise cost for what is worth.

And vice versa, if you just want to live and go to work most of the time from "home to work, from work to home" & rarely sometimes "some place" taking your time then "no" don't buy a car and just save your money since most of the time all is routinary.

If you work in an area of Auckland where parking cost is reasonable, consider to drive. Else drive-bus/train-walk. Or walk-bus/train-walk.

It'd cost me $12 to take bus each day, a little over an hour each way. But if driving it's only 30 mins, $25 parking + $40 petrol per week, that's less than $10 a day. Still a lot, but better than taking public transportation. I'd love to look for work that's 5-10 mins drive away though!

You can consider staying in Epsom or Newmarket. Great everything. Just pay a little extra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast