Thread: fitting suburbs

Default fitting suburbs

Family of 4. (2 kids of 1 and 5)
    Young, vibrant, Safe and family-friendly area
    Lots of green
    Good schools
    Affordable houses (approx. 500 or)
    Max. 40min from CBD. Close to train station.
    Reliable internet
    Relaxing but access to restaurants, shopping malls etcetc.

Which suburbs should I be looking at?

Hi,

Haven't you already asked this on a previous thread?

40 mins by car or train ? Auckland traffic can vary day to day during rush hour. Are you able/ willing to travel outside peak hours?

Quote Originally Posted by lou76 View Post
    40 mins by car or train ? Auckland traffic can vary day to day during rush hour. Are you able/ willing to travel outside peak hours?
    I believe my company can be quite flexible when it comes to working hours, but for this thread lets assume the travelling will be done during peak time.

I drive and park in the CBD. It has been known around peak rush hour to take me 30mins to get down one street. Assuming no major issues in the city and if you could stretch your budget a bit ($500 would be too low for a house), I would head towards the Eastern beaches (St Heliers, Kohi, Glendowie) or risk the bridge and head over to the Northshore.

If you were willing to get the ferry, you would get cheaper housing in Half moon bay area. To drive this though would take around 1hr ish at rush hour.

http://www.fullers.co.nz/tickets-far...f-moon-bay.php

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35699
    Last edited by lou76; 12th April 2015 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Young, vibrant, Safe and family-friendly area
    Lots of green
    Good schools
    Affordable houses (approx. 500 or)
    Max. 40min from CBD. Close to train station.
    Reliable internet
    Relaxing but access to restaurants, shopping malls etcetc.
    That's a very broad list. Which item is the most important?
    You've been given advice in your other threads and no doubt have been doing your own research. What areas are you looking at? It's easier for us to advise you on specific areas, rather than listing all the areas in Auckland that are "family friendly" or have "good schools".

I would say save, family friendly, and easy to get to cbd

Personally I would up the rent to min $650 p/w for outer suburbs (about 30 min by car non-peak) and expect average houses for rent to be in the range of $700-$800+. for inner-city suburbs. Auckland is in a situation where good suburbs and train stations are usually not aligned. However lots of good suburbs with great ferry access.

I can only think of Remuera as near a train station and even so, the train stop is not really in the suburb of Remuera but borderline on the industrial side, so may require some walking, driving or pedaling.

I think your budget will be the problem here if you want all that and easy access to th CBD.

Have you looked at Ellerslie? Another option might be Stonefields, but not sure if there is an easy bus option to get to Glen Innes for train into town. There's Meadowbank with a train station and primary school, but that would probably not be within your budget.

You may be looking at further afield in that range.