Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traffic jam time Habour bridge

Default Traffic jam time Habour bridge

Can anyone tell me what the average traffic jam time is at the Auckland Habour Bridge during peak time?
    Obviously it doesnt need to be exact, but to have an indication.

There isn't traffic jam exactly on the harbour bridge, its usually before and after it. I drove past the bridge for about 4 years and rarely (maybe once or twice) came across standstill traffic on the bridge. Most of the traffic during peak hours is from (Southbound traffic) Constellation Drive to Onewa Road (7:30am to 9:30am) and from Newmarket to the beginning of the bridge (Northbound traffic) & Onewa to Constellation Drive (during 4:30pm to 6:30pm).

Harbour bridge is like lifeline of Northshore and I remember there was an incident last summer on the bridge which brought the whole traffic to a standstill where people had to wait in the scorching heat for 3-4 hours (overdose of summer I say )

Question

I recently spent a couple of months in northcote. The motorway was mostly always moving well by that point but it could take over an hour just to get to the motorway.

Leaving the city was much quicker but again depends on whether there is an accident somewhere that has a knock on effect in the cbd.

I'm sure some north shore residents will be able to give you a more defined answer.

Buses can use the bus lanes so can be much quicker on this route ��. Taking the ferry might be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by lou76 View Post
    Buses can use the bus lanes so can be much quicker on this route ��. Taking the ferry might be an option.
    I thought there wasn't a buslane on the Auckland Harbour Bridge?

How long does the ferry usually take?

The bus lanes are on the approaches to the bridge.

For ferry times look at www.fullers.co.nz

There is dedicated bus lanes (like totally independent roads for buses) from Cosntellation Bus Station to Akoranga Bus Station, which are the bottlenecks for the traffic. There are on & off bus lanes and shared roads outside this path along the road from Albany to CBD.

Just check google maps in satellite view and you will get rough idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jirax View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the average traffic jam time is at the Auckland Habour Bridge during peak time?
    Obviously it doesnt need to be exact, but to have an indication.
    The traffic isn't actually at the bridge, it's before it to Onewa, it usually clears shortly thereafter.

It has taken me to get from Albany to CBD (near SkyCity) anywhere from 30mins to 2hrs in peak traffic... The average is probably (realistically) somewhere inbetween. I regularly hear the radio traffic say that Oteha to Onewa is an hour.

Btw, unless you drive North to Silverdale to get on, actually getting on to the motorway can be worse than the traffic on the motorway thanks to ramp signals/metering.

I regularly have to travel from the Oteha valley rd on rd to Green lane Hospital for 9am appointments. I always leave at 7am and arrive there at 8.30ish. The slowest part as has already been said is from Oteha to the bridge which usually takes me an hour . once over the bridge I can usually get to Green lane in 10mins. I m allowing 20 min to get on to the motorway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast