Thread: Wife's visa timings based on my Work to Residency visa

Default Wife's visa timings based on my Work to Residency visa

I have a Skype interview on Wednesday morning with a hospital in Hamilton to work as an Anaesthetic Technician. All being well, I'll initially go to NZ on a Work to Residence (Accredited Employer) visa which I understand can last for 30 months and at the 24 month point I can apply for permanent residency on a Residency from Work visa.

I'm married and will be going out to NZ first. My wife will be joining me as my dependent from UK in around 6-12 months time once the house has sold etc. I'm sure I've read that my wife would only get a visa for the same time period that I have left in NZ and at the point she joins me it may be that I have between 18-24 months left on my initial visa (so I assume her visa will be for between 18-24 months).

If I then apply for the Residency from Work visa after 24 months, can my wife immediately apply for residency too once PR has been granted to me or does she have to wait 24 months too? I want to be sure her visa won't run out before she can apply for PR.

Many thanks

Mike

Once you get PR, your wife will be able to put in immediately for residence.

On an accredited employer visa the partner gets a work visa to match the main visa holder's visa so the length is the same.
    After 24 months you can apply for residency. If you earn more than 90,000 you are given PR. The other visa holder is too, so your wife can then go from a work visa to Residency/permanent residency based on your salary.
    If she gets an initial visa based on your accredited employer visa she has to activate the visa within a certain time so has to come to NZ but doesn't have to stay.

This information is just based on our personal experience. Details may have changed.
    Good luck!