Thread: Avoiding certain suburbs

Default Avoiding certain suburbs

As opposite to my previous thread I want to turn the question around and ask the following.

Which (in your opinion) suburb should be avoid if you're with a family and why?

I know it's a subjective question, but where I come from I can may up a couple where you really don;t wanna rent.

Cheers,

My experience is basically while driving or visiting our friends, Otara will be a place you might not want to stay but surprisingly Howick, Pakuranga and other surrounding areas are really good. I'm also not fond of visiting some pockets of South Auckland, New Lynn, Lincoln /Royal road in the west.

I think the best option would be to come up with places you like as that will be list with more certainty to plan

I'd say look at all kinds of places to have a feel of what you like and what you don't. Factor in also traveling time during rush hours. Some neighbourhoods are great to live in but traveling in the rush hours is mad.

I find this quite tricky to answer. In general, I don't think you can go by entire suburb, there's always parts that are better/worse than others. It can also change, so if someone has experience of a few years ago, it might not apply anymore.

I understand you are trying to narrow down your options, but I think it will largely be a case of budget rather than ex/including whole areas, and also proximity to a school that you like.

I agree with Daniela. NZ is more 'patchy' for choice places to live and the opposite than any European city I've been in - they can be literally in parts of the same street. And also, the personal reaction you have to certain places can be a large factor. You just can't bank on this being the same as for anyone else.

We have just bought a house. Here were our criteria. First cost. Then area. Distance and time to work. Access to services (sewerage/water/rubbish collection). Privacy/safety. Rates. Own driveway. Neighbours (there is always a tinny house locally to avoid). Local supermarket is great. We allowed 20 thousand dollars for repairs/improvements (there is always something needs fixing). Hope this helps.