Thread: "scootering" in Auckland

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "scootering" in Auckland

Hi all,

I'm looking at accommodations in Auckland city. I noticed that the suburbs are all relatively close to City Centre (usually within the 20 KM) but for some reason (probably traffic) it can take almost up to 1 hr driving.

Would taking the scooter be a good alternative?

Where I come from, there are separate bike/scooter lanes everywhere.

You may not have that much leisure with scooter lanes (here we have only cycle only lanes for selected stretch of roads) otherwise the road is shared among all the users cyclists, cars, bikes, heavy duty vehicles etc.

Scooters are good and cut down on the travel time but I find it unsafe with too many "rash" car drivers on Auckland roads, also keeping in mind there are drivers here from all over the world (left & right hand drives) with various experiences & driving skills and more importantly tempers. Another challenge would be with driving in rain, personally I don't find the road quality here as good as UK or some of the European cities.

Yes you can scooter, but as posted above, there are no scooter lanes. You can use bus lanes, though, together with bikes, but not the bike lanes.

My commute is 13k, and for that, I would not consider a scooter, I prefer a bike (push bike). Anything over 20k or absolutely uncycable roads, I'd probably consider it.

I think a bike is perfectly fine (it works well in Welly) so I can't see why it would be unsafe in Auckland. However in wet weather and strong wind, it can be an issue.

THanks all

I've been a scooterer since the early 1990s, in Canada and Australia. But I'm old and fat now and have settled into a (small Suzuki Swift) car. If I were younger I'd probably still have a scooter.

You will see a lot of scooters on the road here--not as many as Europe or South Asia, but still quite a lot. For a journey of 10k or less it's not a bad way to get around on local roads. But if you need to use a motorway, the inexpensive 50cc models aren't allowed. There also isn't as much scooter/motorcycle parking as there should be in a city this size. Though it is improving. Some workplaces with private car parks will let you park for free; others will charge a reduced fee; others will expect you to rent a car space and pay the same amount.

Coming from Vancouver--which is in a rainforest and gets buckets of rain for 4 months every winter--the "winter" here seems mild. But if you're stuck out on the bike in a downpour and wet (no waterproofs or the waterproofs are failing you) you will feel cold. So get lots of pairs of gloves.

If you do get a scooter I suggest getting more with more power than 50cc. Regardless, take a motorcycle road safety course--a good idea whenever you move countries, even if an experienced rider. And unless your ride is really short--2km or less--wear a proper motorcycle full face helmet and jacket. A summer jacket will probably do fine. But trust me, when you come off a scooter at even 40km you don't want to rely on cotton clothing.