Thread: Temporary Visa Duration

Default Temporary Visa Duration

Hi Everyone.

This is my first post Thanks in advance for any comments/advice

My partner is currently in NZ on a 9 month Limited Visa, returning to her home country in a months time. I met her during her stay here. I am a NZ citizen, and I am looking at sponsoring her to return to NZ on a temporary Work or Visitor Visa early next year. The plan is that I will spend some time with her in her home country before she comes back to NZ. I have a couple of questions here:

1. If her application is successful, will a Work or Visitor Visa duration be affected by a previous 9 month Limited Visa, if that Limited Visa was used within 12 months of the new Work or Visitor Visa application?

2. Would a previous 9 month Limited Visa have any affect on the assessment of future Work or Visitor Visa applications?

Thanks again, really appreciate any comments or thoughts on this.

TeeKay.

I can't see anything in the regulations to say that having previously been in NZ on a limited visa should have any bearing on a later application for a different kind of visa, as long as the applicant had kept within the law and left promptly at the end of it. The circumstances would have to be different for the applicant to be applying for a different visa, so INZ would check out the new situation.

For visitors' visas, people are expected to be outside the country for an equal amount of time to however long they spent in it, before they attempt to come back, so that might apply if her limited visa was a visitor's one, and if the new one is another kind of visitor's one.

Hi JandM

Many thanks for your reply. This is helpful information, I really appreciate it I think that when we apply for her to come early next year she should have about an equal amount of time out of the country following her previous time in the country, which is good to know if she ends up going for, or is given a visitor visa.

Thanks again.