Thread: Do I qualify for NZ Citizenship by Descent?

Post Do I qualify for NZ Citizenship by Descent?

I am US born with ancestral ties to NZ for generations. I have been living in NZ on and off for over 4 years (e.g. currently a NZ resident for over a year). My grandmother was a NZ born citizen and immigrated to America, where most of my family now lives. My mother has recently applied and has been granted NZ Citizenship by Grant through her mother, under the Citizenship Law of 1977: Section 10 (e.g. type of NZ Citizenship by Descent but provides a person "Grant")- "Grant of NZ Citizenship as of right." I am curious if NZ citizenship can be passed down to me. I am seeking NZ Citizenship in order to hurry the process in being able to access Studylink as there is now a 3 year stand-down period for NZ residents.

I have noticed a few possible barriers including: in order to apply for NZ Citizenship by Descent it indicates that your parent needs to have been a citizen at the time of your birth. In my case, my mother applied for NZ Citizenship later on in life because my grandmother did not register her overseas birth and my mother was unaware that she could qualify for NZ Citizenship only until recently. From what I understand, NZ Citizenship can be passed down? Only if she had it at my time of birth?

I know this is quite a unique situation but any person who may have heard of a person with a similar situation and the steps they chose to follow would be most helpful.

Thank you!
    Last edited by amw1205; 18th April 2015 at 08:49 PM.

Is your mother's citizenship 'by descent' as well? In that case, you wouldn't be able to apply as citizenship by descent cannot be passed on to children born overseas.

I think you'd be best of checking with the authorities directly. I have found them to be quite helpful. Good luck!

Hi dharder,

My mother applied and qualified for a special category within 'by descent' that gave her NZ citizenship 'by grant' (see below). I have contacted the citizenship office directly in the past to help my mother in this process and have always received mixed answers as most said my mother did not qualify for this category. We went through the process and all went well and she received it within a month of applying.

"Between 1 January 1949 and 31 December 1969 to a New Zealand citizen mother

You can apply for a grant of citizenship under section 10 of the Citizenship Act 1977. The only difference between a grant of citizenship and citizenship by descent is that citizens by grant can pass their citizenship on to their children born overseas after they are granted citizenship, but citizens by descent cannot. You can apply for a grant of citizenship using the Grant of NZ Citizenship under section 10 of the Citizenship Act 1977 application form."

There's your answer, then, in your own quote.
    citizens by grant can pass their citizenship on to their children born overseas after they are granted citizenship
    She hadn't got this citizenship when you were born, so it can't be passed down to you.