Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is it true than in New Zealand there are less ozone and the sun is more dangerous?

Personally, I don't really tan here. I'm pasty, and then I burn. The one time I visited Europe in summer was the only time I've ever tanned properly.
    I've heard elsewhere that there is an "Ozone hole" over New Zealand, but I'm not sure how true that is. Best advice is sunscreen up in summer.

Yes, rubbish Ozone.
    Easier to get sun burnt here than in Africa!
    (Don't mention the cattle industry, NZ is the second largest consumer of meat... After Denmark! ... As there is no other land mass near by, it may have something to do with it!)

I lived in Arizona for some years (regular summer temps to 115/43) and I find the sun here to be hotter, even if the temperature is a lot lower. I often find myself avoiding the sun which was never like me even in AZ. If AZ is like a conventional oven, NZ is like a microwave oven.

For quantitative info you might try http://es-ee.tor.ec.gc.ca/e/ozone/ozoneworld.htm which will give you updated global, Northern Hemisphere, and Southern Hemisphere maps.
    On today's map, NZ has slightly thicker ozone (higher Dobson Units) than much of Europe and North America.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123