Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Job Searching In New Zealand

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13

    Smile Job Searching In New Zealand

    Hi Guys,

    I am just a new guy in this whole world of NZ immigration. Quite interested in moving to New Zealand as I heard lot of nice and good things about this country and I want to give it a shot. Presently I have an extensive 8 years of experience in the field of Software engineering and currently working in Malaysia. I am in the process of applying for NZQA then EOI which will follow its own path. Few questions thats hovering around my mind

    1. Is it good or safe to get a Visa by applying for EOI without a job offer?
    2. How easy or how tough is to get a job in New Zealand once I get my Visa with the kind of experience I have?
    3. Got to know from this forum only, that its very tough to get a job if you are an asian ? Is this so, I dont think racism should exist in any developing country.

    Last but not the least, can you please provide any good Job consultancy agency that I need to contact once I get my Visa.
    Thanks in Advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samgegr8 View Post
    1. Is it good or safe to get a Visa by applying for EOI without a job offer?
    With the current cut-off points for EOI, it might be pretty tough and depends on overall points that you can get (i.e. over 140 points). As you say "currently working in Malaysia", I assume that your work experience involves working in other countries outside Malaysia as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by samgegr8 View Post
    2. How easy or how tough is to get a job in New Zealand once I get my Visa with the kind of experience I have?
    It wont be easy and will need quite some hardwork, recruitment agencies here sometimes prefer local experience and to sell your experience might take quite some sales skills.

    Quote Originally Posted by samgegr8 View Post
    3. Got to know from this forum only, that its very tough to get a job if you are an asian ? Is this so, I dont think racism should exist in any developing country.
    I haven't come across racism and have worked with friendly lot of people. You may not exactly see racism but its general human emotions of jealousy/mix of dislike towards another individual - just human behavior as anywhere else in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by samgegr8 View Post
    Last but not the least, can you please provide any good Job consultancy agency that I need to contact once I get my Visa.
    The recruitment agencies here expect you to have visa first so that will be the sequence, however some employers may be open to sponsoring visa or wait till your visa is sorted out but it largely depends on how well you do in the interview and as I said before 'sell' your skills & experience.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    With the current cut-off points for EOI, it might be pretty tough and depends on overall points that you can get (i.e. over 140 points). As you say "currently working in Malaysia", I assume that your work experience involves working in other countries outside Malaysia as well.
    Thanks a lot for the information. So from your point of view it would be a wastage of effort if I try for NZQA and then EOI ? There is no way out here unless and untill you get a job in hand at New Zealand

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    35,958

    Default

    Unless you can get 140 points for your EOI without a job offer, as the quotas are set at the moment by the NZ government, it won't get selected. With 140 or more, it will be selected in the very next draw. On the other hand, WITH a job offer, it will get selected with 100 or more.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Unless you can get 140 points for your EOI without a job offer, as the quotas are set at the moment by the NZ government, it won't get selected. With 140 or more, it will be selected in the very next draw. On the other hand, WITH a job offer, it will get selected with 100 or more.
    Thanks JandM. I did an assessment in the Immigration site only and it was coming more than 140 points, including my job experience in India of 3 years (As I worked for a MNC which is domiciled at US under Comparable Job Market) and rest of my experience is in Malaysia which itself is in comparable job Market. Also my profession comes under LTSSL which I think I can claim if it gets evaluated at NZQA.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    35,958

    Default

    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm There are all the detailed regulations - chart at SM6.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    3,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samgegr8 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the information. So from your point of view it would be a wastage of effort if I try for NZQA and then EOI ? There is no way out here unless and untill you get a job in hand at New Zealand
    JandM has summarized very important information above. I got my NZQA assessment done after lodging EOI and before submitting the ITA. Have a look at the overall process and see the sequence. There have been people here who did a recce and got job offers, I'm not sure on the technologies you have worked or the skillsets but research a bit on TradeMe & Seek to see the current demand in market which will give you rough idea on the job market here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm There are all the detailed regulations - chart at SM6.
    Thanks JandM , I have evaluated the points and its coming more than 140 as I have forgot to mention that my Wife is a Master Degree Holder (Her qualification is exempted from the NZQA evaluation) and also have IELTS of 7 which qualifies for 20 extra points. I dont want to step back right now with all the effort I have put in. Lets hope for the best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •