Thread: Help on type of residency visa to apply

Default Help on type of residency visa to apply

Hi, my family and I have tried to apply for a residency in NZ through a Singapore migration agent via the Skills Migrant Category. The agent after viewing our profiles suggested that my husband being the main applicant should get a NZQA done as his masters qualification is not recognized in NZ's list of qualifications. So we had the NZQA done and while it was being processed, the NZ immigration made changes to their LTSSL. Due to the changes, my husband who is a procurement manager would need a different qualification (instead of just a masters in supply chain management and logistics) to apply residency via the SMC and is unable to gain bonus points.

The agent then suggested that we do not have enough points to proceed our application for residency via SMC and would need to look at investment category visas or work to residency visa.

I am confused as I did my own calculations, my husband did have more than 140 points to apply via SMC since he has a job offer in NZ already. His current company has an office in NZ and is willing to transfer him to NZ office to work at end of the year when he finishes his current project. But the agent insisted that it is hard to justify or provide a business case to the officer that my husband's employment is required in NZ if we apply residency SMC or WTR. Hence suggested that we try investment category whereby we will have more chances.

Can someone help on this? Because SMC is a much easier route to gain residency and I don't understand why the agent keep suggesting us to apply via investment category when my husband do not have genuine investment/ business experience as required by NZ? The only reason I can think of is that the agent is trying to get more fees from us as application via investment category has higher fees than others.

It looks to me as though you are right in that you should investigate the requirements for yourself, and not necessarily believe what this agent is telling you.

Some things to look at.

1) With a job offer, your husband only needs a minimum of 100 points to have his EOI selected at the next draw.

2) Procurement Manager is on the List of Skilled Occupations. The requirements to be met are as follows.
    Requirements to claim points for skilled employment (Category A)

A relevant recognised qualification which is at, or above, the qualification level on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework. The qualification must correspond to the skill level indicated for that occupation in the Australian New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO)
    OR
    The relevant work experience that the ANZSCO indicates may substitute the required qualification
    OR
    The relevant requirements specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List (LTSSL) for your occupation (if your occupation is included in the LTSSL)
    OR
    Five years of relevant work experience.
    http://skillshortages.immigration.go...ement-manager/

ANZSCO http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....ement+Managers wants a bachelor's or higher qualification, or at least five years' relevant experience can substitute.

3) Here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm are all the regulations for SMC. SM6 has a chart of all available points, and the last column shows which other section to look at for the detailed requirements for claiming those point.

4) If it's going to work for the company to transfer your husband, their NZ operation has to be working out of NZ, registered there as an employer.

5) Many people with a job offer, with an employer waiting for them, put in for a temporary work visa or WTR in the first instance, because it takes less checking and can be processed much more quickly than an application for Residence under SMC, so the applicant can be there and working, while the Residence application, put in at the same time, can tick along taking the time it takes while they're already in NZ.