Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITA received - Birth certificate query

Default ITA received - Birth certificate query

Hi Folks,

I am currently in Auckland on a work visa and I have received ITA for SMC recently. My query is regarding birth certificate. Unfortunately, my original birth certificate has spelling mistakes in my father's and mother's name. I am an Indian citizen. I was wondering if they accept school leaving certificate in lieu of birth certificate ? If not, can I apply for a birth certificate from High Commission of India, Wellington, NZ ? Is it accepted by Immigration NZ ?

Thanks a lot.
    Ben5556

Quote Originally Posted by ben5556 View Post
    Hi Folks,

I am currently in Auckland on a work visa and I have received ITA for SMC recently. My query is regarding birth certificate. Unfortunately, my original birth certificate has spelling mistakes in my father's and mother's name. I am an Indian citizen. I was wondering if they accept school leaving certificate in lieu of birth certificate ? If not, can I apply for a birth certificate from High Commission of India, Wellington, NZ ? Is it accepted by Immigration NZ ?

Thanks a lot.
    Ben5556
    If you were born before 1970 then INZ might consider accepting school leaving certificate but if its afterwards then try to contact Registry of Birth/Death in the state you were born. Letter from High Commission is no longer accepted by INZ (it used to but not anymore). Follow this link to on the process, each state has similar process e.g. http://chandigarh.gov.in/how_birth.htm for Chandigarh.

You can apply birth certificate from high comm of India in Wellington and submit that birth cert

If there is variation of your names between Birth Certificate & Passport then you probably will need to attached an affidavit. What High commission does is it looks after your Passport and writes down the same information (Date of birth, parents name etc) on their letter head so in your case if the original name on birth certificate has a variance then it will just go unnoticed. Recently the original birth certificate was asked for one of our friends who went to apply for citizenship (INZ accepted her birth certificate from High Commission back in 2007 but above explanation was given when she tried to submit the same for citizenship process).

There is quite some information available at this link: http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/8485

Providing full birth certificates with applications
    What should my full birth certificate say?

A full birth certificate includes the following details:

Your full name
    Your date and place of birth
    Your parents' full names

What should I do if I don't have a full birth certificate?

If you do not have a full birth certificate, you will need to request one from the appropriate authorities in your country of birth.

If your birth certificate is unobtainable, you will need to provide evidence of this, for example a ‘non-availability’ or ‘birth not registered’ certificate issued by the authority responsible for registering births in your country of birth.

Immigration New Zealand (INZ) does not consider a full birth certificate to be unobtainable when it is difficult or takes a long time to obtain.

If you are required to provide a full birth certificate with your application and you provide INZ with satisfactory evidence that your full birth certificate is unobtainable then you will need to provide originals or certified copies of the following documents:

passport or certificate of identity and,
    an identity document (if you do not hold a passport or certificate of identity, you may provide two identity documents instead).
    An identity document is a document that:

confirms a person's identity
    includes a person's full name and date of birth, and
    includes a photograph of the person's head and shoulders.

I am from India and my birth certificate is not available. What should I do?

You will need to provide:

your passport, and
    a 'No Record of Birth Registration' letter from the relevant municipal or village authorities, and
    an identity document such as your Permanent Account Number Card or Motorised Vehicle Driving Licence, and
    your school leaving certificate or 10th or 12th class passing certificate, issued by a recognised education board, which states your full name, date of birth and your father's name if available, and
    an Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate or Notary stating your date and place of birth and both parents names.
    This answer was last updated on 22 April, 2015.

In these circumstances I would try to obtain an accurate birth certificate and if this isn't possible then I prepare an affidavit (sworn declaration). As you are in New Zealand you can have this witnessed and signed free of charge at the District Court.

Default Birth Certificate | Full name not written | Name not present

Quote Originally Posted by jessymoses View Post
    You can apply birth certificate from high comm of India in Wellington and submit that birth cert
    Hi,

I am currently in NZ and wish to apply for residence. For the birth certificate -
    - My birth certificate issued in India has my First Name and Middle Name. My Last Name isn't specified on it. My parent's full names (along with last names) are registered though.
    - My wife's birth certificate issued in India has her parent's names listed clearly. However, her own name is not specified at all.

Now, I was wondering if I could use the Indian High Commisioner's office to get a birth certificate issued (http://www.hicomind.org.nz/hcinz/con...ervices/#misc3). Would they issue the so-called 'Full Birth Certificate'? Will that be acceptable to the NZ Immigration authorities? I also intend to submit the existing birth certificates (the ones I referred to above).

I am trying to avoid the hassle of getting these certificates issued from India since we are currently in NZ and have no relations/family/friends in the places were we were born!

Cheers!

I was in a similar situation for my partner's birth certificate, where in partner's name was not included and it was with missing father's middle name.

We did submit an application to issue a new birth certificate with all the missing information, with supporting document.
    However, the authority just added my partner's name in the newly issued birth certificate and didn't amend father's missing middle name.

When we asked them why it was so, they informed us stating once a birth is registered, with father and mother's name they will not amend the same in their register. This was informed to us verbally.

Due to this, I requested my partner's parents to prepare an Affidavit with sworn declaration, with all the details.

During submission of documents for ITA, I explained exactly this in the cover letter and did send all the evidence, which was accepted.

Try to get birth certificate from local authority i.e. Registrar of Births and Deaths, which could be relevant Municipality, Tahsildar Office, Panchayat Office, or City Corporation in your village or city. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/8485

As Karen said, try to obtain an accurate birth certificate and if this isn't possible then Affidavit.

Hope this helps.

I lodged the application without birth certificate, and only a letter from the embassy was submitted. My application was received and inz have sent back the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    I was in a similar situation for my partner's birth certificate, where in partner's name was not included and it was with missing father's middle name.

We did submit an application to issue a new birth certificate with all the missing information, with supporting document.
    However, the authority just added my partner's name in the newly issued birth certificate and didn't amend father's missing middle name.

When we asked them why it was so, they informed us stating once a birth is registered, with father and mother's name they will not amend the same in their register. This was informed to us verbally.

Due to this, I requested my partner's parents to prepare an Affidavit with sworn declaration, with all the details.

During submission of documents for ITA, I explained exactly this in the cover letter and did send all the evidence, which was accepted.

Try to get birth certificate from local authority i.e. Registrar of Births and Deaths, which could be relevant Municipality, Tahsildar Office, Panchayat Office, or City Corporation in your village or city. http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...base/item/8485

As Karen said, try to obtain an accurate birth certificate and if this isn't possible then Affidavit.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by farfaraway View Post
    I lodged the application without birth certificate, and only a letter from the embassy was submitted. My application was received and inz have sent back the originals.
    Hi Farfaraway, You mean the letter from High commission of India was accepted by INZ in your case.I saw in some other thread that INZ is not accepting this kind of letter and requesting for Birth Certificate issued by local municipality.

I mean the letter from Indian high commison singapore.
    I am not sure if the CO will ask me anything else. So I am planning to request my birth certificate from the village office

Quote Originally Posted by Yzov View Post
    Hi Farfaraway, You mean the letter from High commission of India was accepted by INZ in your case.I saw in some other thread that INZ is not accepting this kind of letter and requesting for Birth Certificate issued by local municipality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast