Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Food in checked bags in domestic flights

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    108

    Default Food in checked bags in domestic flights

    I know it is restricted on flights to NZ and they discard any food item in bags right away. I want to keep some snacks in my checked bag on air nz flight.
    Is it allowed?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,980

    Default

    If you have food in your hand luggage to eat on the aeroplane, this will only become an issue when you land in NZ. Then you need to consider the biosecurity regulations. You can check these out here http://mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-recrea...ms-to-declare/ and in the links off that page.

    Basically, upon arrival at the NZ airport, either DISPOSE of all remaining food items in the bins provided, or DECLARE everything you still have, and the officials will tell you what you can and can't keep.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Warkworth , NZ
    Posts
    1,402

    Default

    But I think the OP means on domestic flights? Pretty sure you can have anything in your checked baggage or in hand luggage when flying within NZ.....?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    36,980

    Default

    You would think so, bought in NZ, flying across NZ, landing in NZ, so if that's the question, it's not a problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    But I think the OP means on domestic flights? Pretty sure you can have anything in your checked baggage or in hand luggage when flying within NZ.....?
    yup it's about domestic flights.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You would think so, bought in NZ, flying across NZ, landing in NZ, so if that's the question, it's not a problem.
    Thanks jandm. I'm starting to stuff my bag now

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Sandwich Islands
    Posts
    751

    Default

    If you're on an ATR72 or smaller, there's not even a security check. You can carry a bottle of wine on, and drink it in flight.

    Note: The Flight Attendant might complain, but if you can't drink a bottle of wine on a plane without letting the flight attendant notice, you shouldn't be drinking a bottle of wine on a plane.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Colorado ->Richmond
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Bringing food into NZ is not a big deal. Declare it (hint, make a detailed list of what is in what suitcase) and declare it on the provided form. Then when you go through biosecurity after customs they will ask you about your declarations and wave you one (if you are bringing say coffee, maple syrup, processed food) or will have you go through a more detailed inspection (if you are bringing seeds, dried meats/veggies, boots, bikes, etc.). They are very friendly and be prepared in case they reject some items. Domestically your bags will get x-rayed and they might call you if they have a question (had an empty homebrew keg once).

    Mic

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72andsunny View Post
    If you're on an ATR72 or smaller, there's not even a security check. You can carry a bottle of wine on, and drink it in flight.

    Note: The Flight Attendant might complain, but if you can't drink a bottle of wine on a plane without letting the flight attendant notice, you shouldn't be drinking a bottle of wine on a plane.
    Don't worry about flight attendants, just share it with the pilot and you'look be okay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •