Thread: Look for a job to accelerate processing of SMC visa application?

Default Look for a job to accelerate processing of SMC visa application?

Hi all,

I am about to submit an SMC visa application for myself & family this week at the London branch.
    As I currently do not have a job offer, we are looking at a total processing time (for allocation + decision) of up to 12 months. However, another option is for me to travel to NZ to look for a job there, hoping that a job offer would speed up the whole process.
    However I have 2 concerns about this option:
    -What is roughly the processing time of a visa application when a job offer gets added after submission? Is it definitely less than 3 months?
    -In your experience, are NZ companies prepared to recruit people who are not allowed to work in NZ yet but are in the process of applying for a visa?
    I work in marketing and have already had initial interviews with recruitment agencies. My understanding is there are a lot of opportunities in my area on the NZ market.

Your answer will help me decide whether to wait for our visa application to be processed or look for a job to accelerate the process!

Many thanks,

Christel

What people most often do if they get a NZ job offer is to apply for a temporary work visa of some kind, which doesn't require as much checking and can therefore be processed more quickly, to allow them to get to NZ and start work without keeping the employer waiting too long. Meantime, the residence application can tick away in the background, taking the time that it takes. (There aren't any guarantees about how long processing will take, not in any circumstances.)

Yes, there are many people on the forum who have got themselves a job offer by going on a recce trip, and only afterwards putting in for a visa.

Many thanks JandM!

I got a job offer a couple of months after I had submitted under SMC, from an accredited employer. London branch as well. They began processing my application within a week of me faxing in my offer. What I have learned in this process though is that there are no definites or guarantees at all, especially around time lines! My employer-to-be is flexible about start date, as they have experienced waiting for immigration before, so seem quite understanding of the lack of certain timelines. I would submit your application if it complete. theres no reason not to get the clock rolling whatever you decide. good luck.