Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rules change - Is it true you can't look for a job on a Visitors Visa?

Exclamation New rules change - Is it true you can't look for a job on a Visitors Visa?

Hi Guys

I have just read a post where someone mentioned that as from July this year you are no longer permitted to go for job interviews if you are in New Zealand on a Visitor Visa. Is this true?? When did this come into effect? Surely potential migrants that need the job offer to secure enough points for an EOI would need to come for interviews? How else would you be able to come to New Zealand and attend interviews?

Please advise if this is true? I have checked on http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ but can't seem to confirm this?
    Last edited by Clanonthemove; 29th April 2015 at 12:17 AM.

Please give a link to the post that has got you worried.

This sounds like a misunderstanding, given that there is a clear INZ directive that it is perfectly okay to job hunt ('look, see and decide') on a visitor's visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Please give a link to the post that has got you worried.

This sounds like a misunderstanding, given that there is a clear INZ directive that it is perfectly okay to job hunt ('look, see and decide') on a visitor's visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf

Thanks.. I was referring to someones comment on a NZ Facebook page: " Ive said it once and I will say it again..great if you did it yourself. .however. .did you mention that from july anyone entering the country on a visitors visa will not be permitted an interview for a job..this is why you should use an agent..they know when the rules change and what they are..yes the process is long and difficult."

Thought it best to get other opinions on this as it does not make sense.

I have been reading the Immigration site daily, so thought it strange that nothing was mentioned in the news feed.

Thanks!!

While this 'someone' might have been quite innocently mistaken, it may help to know that many forum members have found that people they are leaving behind when they migrate to NZ often deliberately tell them all kinds of strange things. Sometimes, it sounds as though a friend or family member doesn't want them to go, and is trying to put them off. Other times, it could be that someone who is jealous that they themself haven't had to courage and energy to try anything like this new departure is just trying to give them doubts or make them feel bad. Whatever they've done, the someone says they should have done something different (like 'use an agent' in the post you're quoting). This seems to be a rather unlovely quirk of human nature, and not something we're likely to alter. But meantime, if you hear anything strange, you're right to hold back from believing it or getting worried till you've had a chance to check it out.

You can always mention about your purpose of visit in your Visitor Visa application. Facebook is a strange world so be wary of what's posted there and if there is no official word (on INZ website) then you take it with a pinch of salt.

I know for sure that this job searching in OZ (on visitor visa) is tricky as they have number of sub-classes for each visa - this isnt the case with NZ as we have only "one" visitor visa (just talking in general sense).

Thanks, I must say reading the Facebook group posts I do get the feeling a lot of people offer "help" with no intention to actually give any help. The forum definitely seems to be a better platform to get advise from!

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    You can always mention about your purpose of visit in your Visitor Visa application. Facebook is a strange world so be wary of what's posted there and if there is no official word (on INZ website) then you take it with a pinch of salt.

I know for sure that this job searching in OZ (on visitor visa) is tricky as they have number of sub-classes for each visa - this isnt the case with NZ as we have only "one" visitor visa (just talking in general sense).

Thanks, that was my thoughts exactly. I read that on the travel card you can stipulate you are there for an LSD trip and that you are then permitted to have certain documentation on hand with regards to your skills etc. I wish there was an easier route, but it seems to be the only way we might secure employment. If they give us a limited visitors visa (which I reeeeaaaly hope they do not) then we will just have to make the most of it.

Wow. Not sure an LSD trip would be allowed!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    Wow. Not sure an LSD trip would be allowed!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast