Thread: SMC Interview - Should I say that I am planning to change a career path?

Question SMC Interview - Should I say that I am planning to change a career path?

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody has an experience with the same problem. I moved to NZ on Working Holiday Visa straight after finishing my Masters degree, only planning to stay for a year. But plans change and now I am hoping to stay longer and to become a resident.
    Last year, I secured an employment + Essential Skills Visa as a restaurant manager (I have plenty of hospitality experience from my years at Uni)

This year I've applied for SMC through this job (also claiming points for my degrees), have submitted my ITA earlier this month and now I'm waiting..

My plan, if I manage to get my residency, is to start applying for jobs related to my degree. I like my current job, but definitely don't want to do it forever.

So my problem is: If I get asked during my interview, should I be honest and tell them that I am planning to pursue career related to my degrees or should I say that it is not my plan (as the SMC application is based on my hospitality job)?

I will appreciate any opinions and advices.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbediah View Post
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody has an experience with the same problem. I moved to NZ on Working Holiday Visa straight after finishing my Masters degree, only planning to stay for a year. But plans change and now I am hoping to stay longer and to become a resident.
    Last year, I secured an employment + Essential Skills Visa as a restaurant manager (I have plenty of hospitality experience from my years at Uni)

This year I've applied for SMC through this job (also claiming points for my degrees), have submitted my ITA earlier this month and now I'm waiting..

My plan, if I manage to get my residency, is to start applying for jobs related to my degree. I like my current job, but definitely don't want to do it forever.

So my problem is: If I get asked during my interview, should I be honest and tell them that I am planning to pursue career related to my degrees or should I say that it is not my plan (as the SMC application is based on my hospitality job)?

I will appreciate any opinions and advices.

1. If you have a job offer and are onshore in New Zealand you won't be interviewed.
    2. If you job is as a restaurant manager in a fast food establishment then it highly unlikely you residence will be approved as it's not considered skilled employment.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    1. If you have a job offer and are onshore in New Zealand you won't be interviewed.
    2. If you job is as a restaurant manager in a fast food establishment then it highly unlikely you residence will be approved as it's not considered skilled employment.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. It's a normal bar/restaurant. And I am in charge of the premises, including hiring, training and termination of our staff, orders, cash ups, stock takes, planning private parties and liaising with our wine reps.

The SMC CO's interview that you hear about often is all to allow the CO to judge if an applicant is likely to be offered a job, and will be able to settle into NZ life, so they don't need to ask you, like anyone else with a job, that kind of thing, since you've already done it.

The only thing you might get your CO directly asking you about (and possibly your employer as well) is the detail of what your responsibilities are at work, so as to check that they match up with the ANZSCO description of the role.