Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White goods

Default White goods

Hi, all

Have been trying to search NZ sites for prices of white goods, without success. Previous thread suggests $1-2700 for a washing machine in NZ. :eek How much are dryers, and dishwashers?? (Bringing the fridge freezer with us.)

Thanks!

right, just grabbed the paper to see what ads there were for white goods. 5.5kg load washing machine top loader $1099.99
    4.5 dryer $749.99
    package of 5.5kg washing maching top loader and a tumble dryer too $1059
    fridge freezer $1229
    upright freezer $1029
    if I come across any others I will put them in.

<choke!!>

Ok, that's it -- we're taking both refrigerators and the freezer. We were going to sell them, but not to replace at those prices, egad!!

Thanks for the information, veronica!!

All the best, Rae

Yeah and looking at the picture they didn't look very big either I have said it before in other threads,

If you have it, and its sound, and it will work here bring it.

The cost of replacing stuff really adds up. We have left most of our stuff at home becasue we have a daughter still living in the house while its up for sale (she has also copped the job of packing up most of it too). But the little costs as well as the big costs really add up. had to buy silly things like string, sellotape, dustpan and brush, brooms, washing up bowl clothes airer as well as a second hand fridge and microwave etc. so the more you bring the better

Default White Goods - US Vs NZ

Hi Rae and All :cool

Appliances are smaller and more expensive here. (Keep in mind, it is an island country and almost all things have to be imported.)

One word of caution if you're moving from the U.S. though...space. Most NZ homes are smaller than U.S. homes and they are built to house appliances that are sold here. The refrigerator space in the kitchen will (in general) not handle a U.S. model.

So before dragging everything over (and paying a hefty price for the shipping plus the transformers you'll need to run them) give it some thought.

Here's an example of how it might be better to buy new when you get here.

1 Refrigerator, 4 years old - cost new US$800 Valued now at $250
    Transformer $100
    Shipping $200

As you can see, you'd spend $300 to bring a $250 appliance that might not fit and may only have a couple of years of life left anyway. (The shipping cost might be offset by using a container door-to-door, but if you're using a moving company they will still charge by weight.)

We brought our nice, big refrigerator and are sorry we did. Now we have a nice fridge sitting in the garage with nothing to do.

We bought a new Fisher and Paykel model...not top of the line, but very nice for about US$750 (with a discount as we purchased several other items at the same time). It's not as big, but it fits and is today's technology.

You could also consider buying used...there are a lot of used appliance stores here.

Unfortunately U.S. washing machines and dryers will not work in NZ (see NZ Vs US Electronics posting).

Just some thoughts on keeping mistakes and hassles to a minimum!

Hi, Rich!!

You're always such a welcome sight! Thanks for the cautions... I'm having a hard time deciding on the white goods issue. Your analysis helps -- no surprise there!

In our own case, not knowing we were going to move to NZ so soon (our original plans were to go, oh, sometime in the distant future), we just purchased all new appliances within the last year. This included washer, dryer, 2 refrigerators, microwave oven and upright freezer. Before anyone gets the idea that we're conspicuous American consumers, I must point out that all the appliances replaced were 20+ years old... anyway, based on all I've learned here on the forum, the washer, dryer and microwave oven are non-starters. However, the refrigerators and the freezer look like they'll work in the place we're hoping to purchase in NZ. Still some question on one of the fridges, but a quick measurement by the estate agent in NZ will answer that question!

Ok, so enough about electronics -- how are you guys getting on? We're all hanging for the next installment of Rich's Adventures in Tauranga. Would love an update when you get a few minutes!!

All the best, Rae

Default White Goods

Shout out to Rich! Could you please tell us about receiving your container, a full story like your shopping/car buying, etc. updates, pleeeeeeeze!!
    I am so curious about the whole container process, no detail too small!
    Thanks!! :cool

Default Containers

Hi Allison and All :cool

Quick reply about the container thing...it's a very small deal really, at least it was for us. The moving company showed up with a typical diesel truck/cab with a container in tow instead of the normal moving truck trailer.

We used a 40 ft. container (emblazoned with COSCO and some nice graffiti on the side so we could recognize it later ) and after packing everything up, they loaded it all in just like a regular move....perhaps a bit tighter, don't think you could have slipped a credit card in between things when it was all in! When everything was inside there was still a bit of space left so they built a "false wall" at the end out of timber and plywood so things wouldn't shift around...you know how gentle those wharfies are with things! :eek

We decided to put our belongings in storage for a while after we arrived. So the container was delivered to Tauranga where it was unloaded into the moving company warehouse and stored in very large crates. Later they brought everything to our new house, unloaded it and that was that. (Except that most of our boxes are still to be unpacked. : ) The refrigerator contracted a bit of mildew over a couple of months, but everything else was just fine. No need for extra mildew insurance.

So all-in-all it wasn't a big deal really. And the great thing is...with the exception of one glass bowl that was broken, and as far as we can tell about the rest...nothing was damaged! Our treasured heirloom, a large grandfather clock, was in perfect shape too. I've moved across town and had more things ruined. These guys were incredible from start to finish.

The company we used was Allied Pickfords (Allied Van Lines in the U.S.). They are a tad more expensive than some, but we can't say enough about how great they were. We were able to get items out of storage before they were delivered and like I said, nothing was amiss. Everyone was professional and very friendly…even when we asked some real bone-headed questions ops: ! Wow!

Hope that helps a bit...you can have a cup of tea and relax now. :mrgreen:

you know rich, you could work part time as immigration adviser and moving organizer or something. you really went through everything and now your experiences are a treasure all of us planning to go there would kill to have! (not literally! :mrgreen: )

thanks for the advice. i am on my listing what to bring stage. i guess i will be packing the small stuff - tape, string, pliers, screwdriver, etc - in triplicate probably so i don't have to go to the store for about 1-2 or 3 months. (heeheehee, and we havent submitted our eoi's yet! ops: ) how's that for excitement?!

annie

Default Moving

Cheers Annie!

Glad to be of service as we know all too well what it's like to be on the other side of things and not knowing exactly what to do or expect. :eek Hopefully this will be good Karma and help us get our PR!

I'm actually getting some articles published on Escape Artist,

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/61/...w_Zealand.html

My latest piece is due out in the next few days. It'll be dry reading for the experienced denizens of this forum, but for "newbie’s" and others thinking about getting out of the U.S. or elsewhere, it might be of interest. Thinking of writing a book too, but the audience is a bit small and narrow...kind of like New Zealand! Maybe an e-book for now who knows? I'll get to it in between unpacking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast