Thread: Veterinary costs?

Default Veterinary costs?

If we end up in NZ we'll be bringing furry critters along. I've bred and shown cats here (but not currently), and may introduce my beloved Chartreux (more photos) to NZ if we can afford to bring over enough cats for proper genetic diversity. (I've started calculating costs - yikes!) And with kitties come vet bills...

Does anyone know approximate big-city costs for spay/neuter operations, routine vaccinations, and microchipping?

Forget micro chipping! Our vet told us that arguments over standards meant that there was no effective service here.

Routine canine vaccination for kennel cough cost us $44 each. Can't help with the rest (sorry)

Well, they'd better start agreeing on standards! All cats and dogs imported into NZ must be microchipped. From the MAF regs on importing cats and dogs...

IDENTIFICATION

9.1 Each animal must be identified with a microchip and the identification details must be shown on the accompanying certification. It is recommended that microchip brands adopted by the International Standards Organisation (ISO) are used. If a non-ISO approved microchip is used, the importer shall ensure that a reader is made available to identify animals arriving in New Zealand quarantine.

9.2 The identity of the animal must be confirmed by reading the microchip each time a treatment or test is performed, and at the time of export certification.
    NZ is close to adopting the ISO standard of 132kHz, and according to a November 2003 press release from the New Zealand Veterinary Association, the NZ Minister of Internal Affairs is pushing a requirement for all dogs in NZ to be chipped.

Now I've got to figure out whether chip scanners in NZ can read my U.S. chips, or if my cats will have to be re-chipped here or in NZ with the 132kHz version. (you can get the 132kHz chips in the US, but there's a good chance that the local shelter or vet clinic doesn't have a scanner that can read it!)

They have no micro chipping readers on the south Island (apparently its two years away) and only two on the north island

I've just sent an inquiry off to the NZ Vet Association, and I hope they have the answer to the Great Microchip Question! This is particularly critical for us if we do end up breeding in NZ, because we'd need to import fresh bloodlines regularly and some of those cats would come in from the US (others would fly in from France and Belgium, and their chips should be compatible with the ISO standard).

What's more immediately critical is whether or not MAF's scanners can read the U.S. chips, or do we Yanks have to re-chip our pets before importing them? (that was part of my inquiry)

We have a Norwegian forest cat (who is called Miep, I have been borrowing her name!) and a black and white moggy which we got here from the cats protection league. Miep must have been imported herself because I recently ran into someone who is the first one to start breeding them here. She told me she had quite a battle with Maf ( I think it was) about getting breeding stock into the country, you see Maf wanted them neutered........

But your Chartreux look fantastic I guess they'll be worth the battle.

Good Luck

PS If I've done everything correctly a picture of Miep should be shown on the left

Miep, the original Miep is adorable! I love Wegies, although I see relatively few of them at the shows here.

My own Chartreux babies can be seen here: http://photos.yahoo.com/coastcat/. Unfortunately, Emoi and my much-beloved Bear have crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Coaster and Zilla are still in robust health.

It'll be a battle, but it's one I'm willing to fight. I've been in contact with the breeder who introduced Maine Coons into NZ, and have some ideas about how to approach the whole enterprise. Well, if I can afford to attempt it! Dealing with MAF isn't nearly as frightening as the costs of bringing in the cats after I get approval. It doesn't help that Chartreux don't exist in Australia or the UK. (I won't get into that situation, but let's just say Chartreux enthusiasts have a very negative view of the British cat registry!)

Wow, I've learned a lot about microchip technology and issues today, more than I ever wanted to know! But I still need to figure out those routine vet costs.

Coastcat,

I tried to have a look at your pictures but Yahoo kept telling me there was a problem opening my account and that I should check back later?

I can't remember how much we paid for the routine shots but the b/w moggy (whose name is Dirk as in Bogarde on account of him being very suave) had a crucial ligament reattached in his knee (or something very like that) and that set us back $1000. This included 3 overnight stays etc but still ... It certainly seems expensive to me. We now call him our 4 figure cat! Mind you he is worth it and the knee is doing very well, he can still jump on the bed and the couch ie all the important things in life!

They do give you very good service though, our vet practice is open every day except christmas day and new years day and they have evening consults too. Another vet even does house visits if you have a nervy pet or transportation problems.
    And its perfectly acceptable to haggle over the cost of almost anything in nz so I'm sure that you, as a breeder, can come to an acceptable agreement with a vet of choice.

Cheers, Miep (the Imposter) :cool

I've corrected the URL, so the photo album should display properly now!

The link worked......I want one!!!!!

They are gorgeous and I love big cats, both of ours are huge too.