Thread: SMC occupation selection

Default SMC occupation selection

Hi guys! Your advice is needed. My spouse received a job offer from local DIY retailer. The job position in the job agreement she has signed stated as Category Assistant, and her job description and charges are close to Retail Buyer which is in the Appendix 6 List of Skilled Occupations Part C. I wonder whether she may apply EOI as Retail Buyer , though in her agreement her position is indicated as Category Assistant? Does NZ Immigration require exact match to position title and description in Appendix 6 and ANZSCO accordingly? Thanks in advance!

The title given by the employer to a job (which can be anything that makes sense in the company, e.g. 'Mr Brown's assistant' or 'in charge of workshop B') does not matter - what counts is whether the description of the person's responsibilities matches up pretty well to the description in ANZSCO.

The question may be does her job description substansially match the following?

monitoring sales data and stock levels, and studying trade, manufacturers' and market information to keep informed of changing market conditions
    •negotiating purchase, promotion and supply arrangements with suppliers
    •designing and implementing pricing, marketing, promotional and display strategies
    •liaising with management on long-term planning and sales promotions
    •establishing working plans according to seasonal and budgetary requirements
    •anticipating consumer trends and determining quantity, style and quality of goods to be purchased

I suspect if she is working for a large retail chain such as Mitre 10 or Bunnings, then she will simply be ordering stock, the buying, marketing and promotion of which is predetermined by others, and that INZ would therefore would be consider a retail assistant or supervisor? PM me with her job description and I'll see if I can come up with any suggestions

Hi JandM , thanks a lot for your comment. Yes we are moving in this direction, and pay more attention to ANZSCO description rather than job title in job agreement. Cheers! Enjoy your day!

Hi Chris, many thanks for responding, much appreciated. I have sent you PM, please check up. Thanks again for your help and have a nice day!